Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

good streamer for drifting

The river I fish is at its lowest point of the year and I and a friend have located a nice section of water with good size walleye , they seem to hug the rocks at the bottom very tight and will not move a far distance for a shot at a meal, the water is clear as it will ever be and the depth is at mabey 6-7 feet with some shallower areas. The best walleye where taken on well drifted light jigs with very small inch to 2 inch twister tails. the smaller the lure the bigger the fish we pulled out, anyways i think drifting flies near the bottom would be even better! i wana drift the same section with a fly rod and a strike indicator, does anyone know any good baitfish patterns that fish good when drifted and also not a very big one. These fish are the biggest we have found on the river so far and strike very hard, often times you can see the strike as a big yellow-bronze flash appears from the darker areas of the current. Any help would be great.

Druce

Personally, I would try a tungsten-cone black woolly bugger in size 6-8. A small chart. over white clouser or zonker might produce some hits too. Just play around with colors and have at it. I've caught almost all of my 'eyes on buggers though. They're suckers for drifted leech patterns! Let us know how you do and if you can, grab some pics. "Walleye on the Fly" pictures are great!

Well, thanks for the tips jhammer, although I did not use the suggested flies I did try the spot and i only managed one mother of a walleye who came off after a wicked big flash under the surface, strike indicator, 3 split shot (could have used 2) and a "gray frede" if you dont know what that is look it up on global fly fisher, its my number one fly, in fact a large majority of my below surface catches have been on this fly in size 8. my strike indicator had a hard time staying a float though, to bad, i guess ill improve on the rig later, i think next time i might tie on a size 10 black ghost at the end of the rig, a nice bright fly and a dull gray one, we shall see, saw my friend there trying the same method i was hahaha! came to our spot without calling me first! <_<

Maybe a slumpbuster or beuface. the former is a cone head and the later a bead. both have great action and would look like a lot of things, one being a good old walleye stand by - a leech.