Fly Tying
feathers5

Pike Fly Patterns

Can someone point in the direction of some Pike Fly patterns, please? Are there any in the Clouser style? I imagine there is, but I have yet to find what I like. I've never tied for pike before so help would be greatly appreciated. I guess over-sized small mouth flies might work? Thanks

I have been tying for pike for going on 15 years now, and while my box has around 500 pike flies ranging from a 5 minute bunny leach to a 2 hour 7 articulated monstrosity I have found that a black and purple articulated bunny leach is always a simple and effective pattern to test the waters.

I have been tying for pike for going on 15 years now, and while my box has around 500 pike flies ranging from a 5 minute bunny leach to a 2 hour 7 articulated monstrosity I have found that a black and purple articulated bunny leach is always a simple and effective pattern to test the waters.

Can I find the fly pattern on Google?

Guest rich mc

two i like are dan blantons whistler in yellow and red and a craft hair fly called the murdered muppet

It depends on the time of year, where you're fishing. The only real experience I have fishing for pike is on my annual trip to northern Ontario. I've been there in the spring just after ice out(mid-May) and the pike have just finished spawning and are in shallow bays, they're also following the schools of walleye, yellow pike and whitefish moving into the shallows to spawn. As the water warms the bigger pike move into deeper water, tough to catch on a fly rod. I've been going there the last 25 years or so in late July, water is warm but the smaller pike are in the shallow water. I've caught them from 12 inches to 30 inches in water from 3 feet to 15 feet. You find them around structure, beaver huts, debris fields from old huts, fallen timber, rocky points and weed beds. I don't fish weighted flies for them, I use a sink tip or intermediate line to get the flies down depending on the depth of the water. I cast toward shore or structure and make a fast retrieve. A pike will follow the fly right to the boat and often hit it there. If you can see a pike following the fly, pause it for a couple seconds and then strip that will often inspire the pike to hit it. If you watch the TV shows of guys fishing conventional tackle for pike and muskie the often do a figure 8 with the lure right at the boat. You can sort of do it with a fly rod, but it's going to be 6 or 7 feet from the boat and you're not going to put your rod in the water. I always had good luck with all white flies. This style has been my most productive fly over the years though I've caught more on the ones without a prop. It's a variation of Bob Popovics "Semper Fleye" you should be able to find tying instructions on line. I was using a sinking line when I caught this one.

post-309-0-37015900-1501893196_thumb.jpg

I was told August and September are good months for pike. Do they back in the shallow water at this time of the year?

When the lakes 'turn over' and the colder deep waters mix with shallow warm water, all predators go on a feeding binge. Schools of now larger bait fish get hammered. And then they settle into winter patterns. It all depends on each lakes' depth, latitude, temperatures, and even precipitation as variables.

Rocco