Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

9' 9wt Saltwater rod

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

NUhWTQ.jpg
 mGNk4n.jpg
 fmI7CJ.jpg
 jX5iu1.jpg
 MfII5s.jpg

This one is a fast action 9wt for a saltwater angler. Braided seat with exposed blank, custom grip & butt out of various burl corks, royal blue with metallic aquamarine to keep in touch with the whole saltwater theme look.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Steve. That baby has a date with some Cape Cod stripers.

#3 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

Beautiful rod guys, nice color choices mlandry, Steve well done as always.

#4 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

I love that red burl in the grip!  That looks awesome!

#5 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

Hi Steve, curious as to what brand of snake guide that is..it looks heavy enough for the salt..Thanks..

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Triple plated Pacific bay guides. They should hold up to salt use pretty well.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

That's a pretty fly rod!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

Very nice! Mlandry hope you have a great time with those stripers. Steve ever build a 71/2' or 8' nine weight ? thinking of a shorter rod for kayak fishing.

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

To the best of my knowledge I don't recall seeing many if any 9wts under 9ft, but I will look around and see if any of my suppliers happen to carry one and let ya know.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Any spin or casting rod rated for 1/2 oz. or 5/8 oz. in 71/2' or 8' should cast a 9wt. line..it doesn,t have to be a fly blank..tape on guides and do some test casting..CPH, if you have a spin rod already built at about 1/2 oz. rating put your fly real on and try a two hand cast..you might be very surprised.

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

True that a blank does not know what it is being built into, so I have in the past used fly blanks for spin rods and visa versa. Only thing is when you're talking about the larger end of the spectrum such as a spin blank that can cast 5/8oz or more, they usually have a very large butt diameter because of the taper and that doesn't always make the best fly rod.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

believe me Steve, a large diameter butt does no harm but is needed to carry all the weight of the line plus a large wet wind resistant fly..here,s a Lamiglas IMC904-T rod with 720 grain 27' skagit shooting head line that easily tosses a 150 grain fly up to 50' or more but it takes two hands which makes it a lot easier to go all day or all night using a normal overhead backcast...

Attached Files

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

Never said it was "wrong" just simply that I personally don't care for a real big butt diameter for a fly rod for a few reasons.

On your rod in the pic you have a graphite seat and EVA grips. Nothing wrong with those, but they just aren't my taste for the rods I build. With a very large butt diameter you are forced to use more of the graphite seats or the Alps triangle seats because its hard to find fly seat hardware that will accept such a large diameter and still have enough wall thickness in the insert to not crack. There are fast taper fly blanks that accomplish the ability to throw a large water soaked fly with a much smaller butt diameter so I always like to go with that myself. Nothing wrong with a larger butt, just not my taste for my own rods is all.

Can't call me sir-mix-a-lot because I don't like big butts and I can not lie lol laugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#14 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

Still LOL, that,s funny..if i was building rods to sell, i would try to build the same as yours but since i build for me only i build to my taste..i like fly rods under 8' and built to cast with both hands..bass don,t care how many hands i use..lol..short rods also bring a fish to hand quicke, less exhausted..longer rods whip fish down and too often they come in belly up..i love EVA grips. cheap and they work..most of the time i will flock them to pretty them up a little..cork has pits and when the mud falls out the grip is very harsh unless you refill them and they are way too costly..i,m building a tool not a monument..lol.. i look at my flies in the same way, just tools..but fun tools to make..lol.

#15 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

Yep that's why most my grips I turn I use burl corks. No pits and no need for filler.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com