Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

10' 4wt xi "My new toy!"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

Finally caught up on customer rods enough where I was able to sneak in a few minutes here & there to work on a new rod for myself. This is a 10' 4wt that I built to add to my own collection and use on the big waters of the Au Sable. Blank is Xi H&H 10' 4wt 4pc, grip has seven coats of urethane, classic twist brown & black wraps with metallic copper trim and a custom matching sock.
 6wopUf.jpg
 R1tuEn.jpg
 cVYPPW.jpg
 8vzaQc.jpg
 h49frB.jpg
 yAOXYU.jpg
 VrxW1H.jpg
 TJbxM2.jpg
 bjaOWS.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

Wow! ...didn't realize it at first but I'm actually drooling.

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

Really like that color combo. Not too sure that I would like fishing with that super slick looking grip though it is pretty to look at.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

While it looks slick, the opposite is actually the case. The urethane coating gives a very high traction "grippiness" (is that a word? lol) Before I did my first one years ago I always looked at coated grips and wondered how guys ever were able to hang onto the slick looking grips. Then I did one and was amazed at how much traction they have.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

That is a beautiful rod, Steve.  I like the tapering wraps at the grip ... and I LOVE the grip !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

While it looks slick, the opposite is actually the case. The urethane coating gives a very high traction "grippiness" (is that a word? lol) Before I did my first one years ago I always looked at coated grips and wondered how guys ever were able to hang onto the slick looking grips. Then I did one and was amazed at how much traction they have.

Ya I did a grip for my wife's 4 wt in spar urethane just as a sealer coat ( two coats) and if anything the gripping action or traction improved.. But it's some slow drying stuff !

Nice rod Steve,great colors, rich looking.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#7 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

The high traction grippiness is exactly why I thought it might be unpleasant, as a long time carpenter, I learned to avoid urethane or varnish  on any handle, because nothing in the world creates a blister faster.

On a rod the hand might not get blistered, but my instincts all flare up at the visual of varnish on a handle.

It is very pretty though. Wish you much joy and many fish on it.

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

I have two other rods I did the handles on like this as well, never had any blister issues at all, probably because your not using the type of force with a rod as you are with a hammer.

Thanks, should be putting it to use in a few weeks. Got a steelhead trip planned for 3 days in about a week but once I get back from that then we'll start hitting the trout and this rod will start seeing some action then.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#9 Powershooter

Powershooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

Beautiful rod Steve . I have never seen a grip like that before .
Bo Hamby

#10 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

Okay I gotta ask, how did you make the tapered wrap?

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

Just reduced the number of turns on each wrap from 8 down to 2.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

Okay, I get it now (I think). They are bands, not a single spiral that tapers. 

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

Yep individual bands. Not even sure why I did it, just an idea that hit me lol.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#14 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

Well I like it.  I wonder how that would look as accents over guide foot wraps. Might add some weight if you want a smooth finish but I bet it would look style'in.

Guess my brain saw what it wanted to as far as a spiral.  I was just trying to figure out how you did it it was, I can think of a couple things to try, but what a PIA it would be to make it look natural and neat.

#15 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Individual bands?!  

Wow.

Very impressive!