Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Customs out customs in

I have made my living making custom knives for twenty years but I am not usually a customs buyer. I like to buy good stuff when I can afford it but mostly, because I am the proverbial "starving artist", I do much of my shopping on eBay or at garage sales, I drive a 2001 truck and the sheet rock in my shop still isn't done.

Well, for the first time in my life, I think, I ordered something custom, rods from Steve (steeldrifter). You probably already know this if you follow his custom rod posts. We were talking about how a custom maker can appreciate the craft of another custom maker (even if we can seldom afford to buy custom stuff). As it turns out, buying a custom rod is pretty easy and in this case quite reasonable. As a side note, I think that Steve is not valuing his work as highly as he should be, but far be it for me to tell another man how to run his business.

Besides that, he's a pleasure to do business with.

Anyway the name of this thread is "Customs in, customs out". I am soon to receive my rods from Steve (which I'm very excited about) and I am ready to ship a custom knife to a customer. This is the forth knife this particular customer has ordered. He has one for himself and two others for two of his boys, this one is for the third boy. It goes out tomorrow.

The damascus is raindrop pattern, bolster, subhilt and butt plate are brass, the spacer is musk ox horn and the main part of the handle is mammoth tooth. I hope it's new owner (who is five years old) enjoys it as much as I enjoy my new rods.

DSCF4802-XL.jpg

DSCF4803-X2.jpg

DSCF4800-XL.jpg

First thing that comes to mind....Freekin' gorgeous ohmy.png

What is the handle made of Mark is that a hybred? Love the added matching inlay in the sheath as well nice touch there.

Nice work. What's your rear handle made of. I've been trying to get a similar result out of birchbark and rare earth pigments for a flyrod grip

The handle materials are musk ox horn near the guard and mammoth tooth for the main handle. I was editing the OP with that info cuzz I knew people would ask. You guys are fast.

Actual, fossil, mammoth tooth?

THAT is a beautiful knife, Mark. Exceptional workmanship. As stated above, the inlay in the sheath is a neat touch.

That would be next ... after finding out if it's REAL mammoth tooth or some other material called that.

Actual, fossil, mammoth tooth?

THAT is a beautiful knife, Mark. Exceptional workmanship. As stated above, the inlay in the sheath is a neat touch.

Yes, we got lots. We get them from mammoth tooth fairies. Where did you think they went after the MTF flies away with them?

Also, guess what, guess what, guess what.... My rods came today. And they are even nicer than they looked in the pictures. So if you are not jealous of me, you should be.smile.png

Yes, they are actually real mammoth teeth, we sometimes get them with bluish hues. Want to see more, Go to markknappcustomknives.com and look under knife making materials and then mammoth teeth.

Wow, that is awesome. How much are those? I want to buy one!

Thanks James. I don't usually quote prices over the internet.

Looks very nice Mark, I think musk oxe maybe my favorite material as far as looks go.

The subject of mammoth ivory came up on Steve's road thread I think many of you thought I was joking about it being a legitimate material, I think the tooth looks better but there's plenty of mammoth ivory available too. Mike you can also buy stabilized dyed mammoth tooth, as blue as you want it.

I'm not a knife guy but I am a craftsmanship guy and that knife is simply breathtaking. Unbelievable level of craftsmanship. Stunning! I can't even imagine the skill, experience and passion it takes make something like that. Holy crap that is a nice knife.