Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

What's an grass cap bite like?

I was out this morning and was having no luck with a small popper. Switched to a carp style fly that I tied some time ago and, on the first cast, ...POW!

This thing came up, did a belly roll, dug deep and hard, and I never saw it again. The hook came out after a little tug-o-war.

I have no idea what it was, but the only two suspects in this waters, based on what I saw, are gar and grass carp. The gar I have caught before did not fight like that, and I have never caught a grass carp to compare. So, the question, is this consistent with your experience fighting grass carp?

He knew he was hooked.I have had them do that but alot of them just suck in the fly with just a really soft bite and keep swimming until they realize they are hooked.Then all hell breaks loose.

Catfish love to roll when they are hooked and will react the same way.Maybe you have some catfish in the water.

Never seen one in this lake, but it would not be strange.

I discounted them because the belly was not the round shape a fat catfish normally has, but ...

My experience with grass carp is an excruciatingly slow take, followed by a huge splash and the reel screaming. I never experienced any rolling. It was always a quick head fake and a turn and burn.