Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DIYLureJunky

Dragon Tail Alternative

Hi All, 1st time post here. I have been tying flies and making jigs for quite sometimes. I fished with flies, but not with a fly rod. I usually target rockfish out of Pillar Point Harbor and use the drop shot method for fishing it. I was fascinated with the dragon tail fly movement and order some squirmel toy to tie some. It did not survive 2 fish and the tail got destroyed. In my search for a replacement, I came across these chenille yarn at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-31-7-Yd-Soft-Chunky-Chenille-Yarn-Silver/871443849. I yanked on the fuzzy fibers and the yarn did not undo itself. It's very durable. My flies are still intact after my last trip, no sign of tear. The only down side of this is that I have to trim the yarn to the shape I want. Not a bad trade off. Durable and cheap. I thought I share my findings.

Richmc has been using those yarns for "dragon tails" for a couple of years.

He's been having troubles getting into this site, so he can't post his flies.

As I said, Rich has troubles getting into the site. He does read the posts, and here's the reply he E-mailed me:

" ... that yarn is very heavy when wet. i prefer to furl 2 strands of snuggle up eyelash yarn and trim to shape. and i mix different colors together and also add some gilt eyelash strands for flash. rich"

As I said, Rich has troubles getting into the site. He does read the posts, and here's the reply he E-mailed me:

" ... that yarn is very heavy when wet. i prefer to furl 2 strands of snuggle up eyelash yarn and trim to shape. and i mix different colors together and also add some gilt eyelash strands for flash. rich"

Rich, I don't how you happened on those combinations but hope it wasn't from your Friday and Saturday night Kit for a night on the town.

Rich says, "snuggle up yarn is only at hobby lobby, right next to yarn bee hygge fur yarn"

LOL You decode the text!