Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been tying for about 10 years but didnt really get "serious" about it till about 2-3 years ago. My goal for my tying has always been to tie flies that catch fish, which i have acived and now i'm just trying to get to the point of tying some "impressive" flies. But even if i never get to that point the first one is the most important to me anyways wink.gif

SD

i've been tying for 13 months,So i picked the 0-1year.

It's been a hard core 13 months of nothing but tying flies on alot of my free time which is ALOT headbang.gif

I started last spring when i got myself a tying kit off ebay. figgured if i was gonna be fly fishing i was going to have to learn to tie as well.

-T

I tied my first fly when I was 14 or 15 out of a small bait hook and some yarn my mom had stuffed into a drawer. Unimpressed with my creation, I forgot about fly tying again until about four years ago when I "got the bug", and like Mozes quickly invested a huge pile of cash fortifying myself with stuff I will probably never get through. Of course, that doesn't stop me from buying more material wink.gif , but I think I spend more wisely now... that is, unless someone advertises a 50% off sale on materials that are already rediculously cheap (awaiting my massive order as we speak).

When I look back at some of the flies I first tied (when I became serious about tying), I just laugh. Man, they were really... bad. I like to think I've come a long way since then... rolleyes.gif

My next door neighbor, Pete Bumpus, came running to my house one early spring day to tell me about "fly tying" which he had seen on television. The show was "The Flying Fisherman with Gaddabout Gaddis". Never mind neither of us had ever even SEEN a fly rod tongue.gif at that time!

By the end of that fateful day we had stripped feather dusters, raided our mother's sewing baskets and imagined pickerel three feet long viciously ripping into our killer "flies". The fact is, I started tying flies well before I learned how to fly fish.

Jump forward three years. The 8' honey colored Lamiglass blank was the perfect birthday gift. In two weeks I had turned it into a wonderful fly rod (still have it) and mated it with a Pflueger 1495 (still have it, still fish it regularly) and level line. Bluegills across Massachusetts quaked their fins in fear.

Jump forward two years. I sign on as a charter member of the Cape Cod chapter of Trout Unlimited, build a glass 10wt. rod and start saltwater fly fishing for salter trout, schoolie stripers and taylor blues. The year? 1975.

I started tying flies at the age of 10 in 1970 or so and have been committed ever since. I guess that means I have three plus decades with this hobby! biggrin.gif

Tight Lines!

Joe C.

I have been tying for about 3-4 years. I have caught fish on my flies, now I am working on making them to where they will catch peoples eyes in a frame. laugh.gif This might take a little longer than catching a fish with them. biggrin.gif

Jim

I started tying flies just before I turned 13, so it's been around 29 years now. Started out selling night crawlers and trout flies out of my grandmothers sewing machine business I didn't sell too many flies back then though! sick.gif I was self taught and didn't have stuff like the web to help me along. There was also a period in my early 20's when I slowed down abit and only tied enough for my summer return trips to michigan but I really got after it again right bout the the time I turned 30. Now I tie every day.

20 something years ago I walked into a little fly shop in Middleburg, Virginia, to look at the fishing stuff. I talked to the owner, who builds beautiful cane rods with ONE GOOD HAND, and told him I was learning...

He sat me down and showed me how to tie a bugger, gave the fly to me, and I've been hooked ever since. There have been periods of "necessity" tying, and periods of experimentation, and realism.

It's been fun, to say the least!

Thanks, Hank, for that first fly!

I remember tying my first makeshift fly when I was about 7 or 8 out of a hook and some thread and stuff I could gather. I didn't count that.

I seriously got interested in flyfishing and tying in 1967 right after I got married. So that puts me in the 37 years catagory. Mostly nymphs and wets and streamers for trout and brim. Don't fish with drys much, and never got to anywhere there is salmon or steelies, so don't do much with them either. You gotta love the hobbie because you ain't doin' it to save money, AND THAT'S THE TRUTH!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif