Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

TIp of the Day for Aug 20, 2003

I would just like to start today's tip by first apologizing to our guests and members for my abscence. I'm sure I wasn't missed by many wink.gif .

Hoppers are great fish catching patterns, especially in the late summer and early fall when these delectable insects reach thier full maturity. BUT, do not overlook a hopper pattern just because it isn't August. Hopper patterns can be very productive on trout and smallie streams throughout the whole season if you follow a few simple rules of entomology.

Hoppers will start hatching as early as March in some parts of the country. Therer are teeny, maybe a # 20, and start growing until they reach maturity in the late summer, like a size 6 or 4, or even a two! You can fish tradition hopper patterns like Dave's Hopper or use more modern patterns like the BLT or Club Sandwich Hopper to produce fish if you tie these patterns in various sizes, according to the maturation of the natural hoppers in the areas you are fishing. I use a size 12 foam hopper in the late spring (May) to fish a favorite brook that runs along the edge of a neglected alfalfa field, and hook into every species, including smallies, that live in the creek. As the season progresses, I gradually increase the size of the pattern, even up to a 2 for a particular stream in central Kentucky that has enormous hoppers in the area.

The next time you are tying up a batch of hoppers, just remember that they can produce nice fish year round and shouldn't be stored away until the end of summer. Try a spring hopper next season and you may just be pleasantly suprised.

Great advice! I was asked last year by river guide, Kelly Watson of Texas River Bass to tie a big hopper for river bass. I came up with one tied on a 1/0 size hook, and it was about 3 inches long. They're also excellent for bass!

I think what I designed was really meant to imitate Locust that are native to the area of Texas the guide fishes in, but it don't matter to the fish! These big boys are yellow & black! It don't matter what's available, whether they're hoppers or locust, all types of fish still love them, and big hoppers can be a real "something different" fly at certain times of the year.

great pics, Jim...very similiar to the patterns I have tied for big black bass on the Big Sandy....I guess great minds do think alike!!!!

Sign in to follow this