Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

The Brook Trout of Minipi by Lee Wulff

I've seen that one before, and have appreciated that Lee was willing to be seen missing fish after fish, and getting frustrated. Far better than anything you see today.

One of my favorite videos. I first saw it when I received a DVD called "The Lee Wulff Master Collection" as a Christmas gift years ago. It contains a couple of those old American Sportsman episodes with Curt Gowdy and Lee Wulff. I just love everything about those old videos, especially the lack of any attempt to make fly fishing look glamorous at all. The fly-in with the canoe strapped to the plane's pontoon, the little pup tent pitched in the thick brush that it's at least implied that both men will be camping in, the unpretentious conversation. A modern version would feature about twenty different product plugs, from fly line to driftboats to fishing lodges, interspersed with commercials for $60,000 pickup trucks. I'm not sure when that episode was filmed, but if I was alive then at all (born 1970) I wouldn't have been very old. Still, it seems fair to say that fly fishing was more about the fishing back then and less of a "lifestyle".

Did you see that, McFlyLures ... since you've posted videos of yourself missing fish after fish, you're on par with Lee Wulff.