Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

HEEEELLLLPPPPPP with a marabou body.

How do you tie in a whole plume of marabou to palmer it the length of the hook shank? Do you just cut off pieces and tie them in or is there a way to palmer the whole marabou plume? I am trying to use something called a "Strung Marabou". Is there maybe some other marabou I should be using?

Thanks alot

Jim

You can do both. Tying it in after being clipped is a pain in the ass.

Strip one side of the plume, tie in by the tips in the rear of the fly and palmer forward while stroking the fibers back as you palmer forward. If you run out before reaching the point you like you can tie in another.

I'm guessing you are trying to tie in the whole plume. Stripping one side will complete your task.

Yeah Dornug that is what I am trying to do (tie in the whole plume). I will try it and let you know how it worked.

Thanks

Jim

Pain is right.

I've tried it the other way for a pattern that required the marabou only for the top of the fly and it took 8 or 9 tufts to make it look full enough. Way too time consuming. Needless to say, I don't like that pattern. huh.gif

Hello, I heard on another website. I will need to do a dubbing loop to get this to work. So I guess I will try to figure it out tonight.

Jim

I guess you could and it would make it more durable, but somehow cutting the tufts and placing them into a dubbing loop sounds like overkill. It sounds like you are spinning the 'bou around the entire fly?? If you are just follow Dornug's suggestion. It will save you tons of time.

If you're trying to do it like on a Coho fly then stroke it back and tie in the tip, then just wind and stroke back as you go.

We're a marabou addicted area here in the NW. Where the popsicles and alot of the other main marabou flies were created. So have a few techniques for you. But need to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to tie a popsicle type fly, or you simply adding a wing. I guess I wasn't clear on what you're trying to do. Sounds like you're trying to palmer, but wasn't sure if it's a full body, or simply a collar of fly, or even the wing mentioned already. I don't want to go through all three. LOL. But this is a picture of one of my polar shrimp marabou speys. This is palmered marabou. But can give pretty good details on how to work marabou if needed. user posted image

Just let me know exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Hello everyone, sorry for getting everybody so confused. Here is a ictureof the fly that I am trying to tie. It is called a Bubble Dancer.

user posted image

Thanks for everybodies help on this one.

Jim

Wow, that looks almost like a George Cook fly, but with eyes (he created the popsicles, show girls, etc). You can do this a couple ways. With multicolored marabou flies like that. The first initial color can be simply stacked on hook. Grab a not "blood stem" piece of marabou and bunch it together on hook and trim. Use 2 or 3 pieces to add good bulk at first. But, if you want you can palmer it on too. Doesn't really matter with first initial piece. BUT, the next color you'll want to palmer. This is where I ALWAYS have a small cup of water on hand. I never strip away half the plume when palmering, unless I want more of a sparse look to the fly. Simply tie in 1 or 3 blood stem marabou pieces of same color by the time. Now, lightly wet your fingers and stroke the feathers back together (basically folding the marabou like you would a hackle). Then palmer. If you're a right handed tyer, you'll want to fold the side away from you under so the edge sitting towards you palmers out. Palmer what you can, trim and evaluate. If you have too much room, add another 1-2 plumes. Then, grab a smaller piece of marabou and finish third (collar of fly). You can use a schlappen on last one if you want. I'd suggest putting eyes on first (some people wait til last). This will put your marabou right up to eye of hook. But if you fold marabou like I said above, you'll have a bulkier look to the fly and won't need to add as many plumes (basically using more then you need).

Hello Steelheader69, the marabou that I am trying to use is called "strung marabou" is that the right kind? The reason why I am asking is because the stem seems awfully thick to wrap around the shank of the hook.

Thanks for all of your alls help with this.

Jim

Strung marabou is simply loose marabou that is stitched together so easier to handle as a group. It'll have a mixture of "spey marabou" and loose marabou. Most spey marabou is the blood quill. Really isn't that bad to tie with. Just select the stems that aren't too thick. The standard marabou you'll find is too thin in stem. One good fish hit and it'll eat it up fast. The stuff with flimsy stem I use to just stack on hook to make bulky. The stuff with firmer stem I use to palmer. If the stem is too thick, you can split it down the middle and then attach both at one. This will cut down on bulk you'll find if left as one stem. You can buy just "spey marabou". Strung isn't bad, but you get alot of feathers you can only use for wings, or just to add bulk to a fly.

goll dern that looks like a good fly! Gonna have to try and tie me up a few of them. Looks pretty easy. Just tie in your eyes, then palmer your marrabou, or palmer your marrabou, then tie in your eyes? Thanks! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck