Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

are jurassic vises catching on

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

modified regular vise-grips mounted on a pedistal base

Attached Files

#17 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Those are truly awesome Ben!

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#18 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

thanks saltybum...i just wanted to show there,s more than one way to skin this rat. lol.

#19 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

i,m still skinning muskrats...found this 5" vise at wal-mart for $2 and attached it to a dumbell(no relation..i think)..good size for pan fish flies..$5 is all it took to make this vise, that,s to cheap even for my blood.lol.

Attached Files

#20 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

I got a big kick out of this thread (and like others I still do have a small vise grip tying vise (we welded the one I have on a 3/8" threaded rod that fits exactly in my regular vise's base).  We also made certain it was at the exact same angle as the old vice that was our pattern...  As an aside I have to say that those old Vise Grip vices were super if you were tying really big bucktails on heavy "deep jigs" the way we did years ago before butterfly jigs came along...   That Vise Grip would hold a 6oz. head with a 7/0 hook like it was designed for it....   For comparison the heaviest jigs I tie these days are only in the 1 ounce size range  with a 4/0 hook...

Every time someone comes up with a new vise of some sort (usually at nosebleed prices...) I find myself a bit embarrassed to admit that I've been using the same simple fixed vise now since the early eighties (and no it doesn't rotate at all...).   Simple cam action and "super jaws" that will accept anything from a #8 all the way up to a 5/0...  I must have tied thousands of dozens to fill orders on it... The thing is -when Renzetti was kind enough to offer me a super discount on one of their lovely rotary vises - I would have had to learn to tie with it from scratch.... and just couldn't justify it since I'd already been tying for quite a few years and was kind of set in my ways....

For those who are curious, the vise I'm still using all these years later was made by Rogue River Anglers (long since re-named as Cascade Crest) and I think it cost less than fifty dollars way back when....

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666