Fly Tying

Anyone have any experience with the 'cooling shirts' offered by various clothing makers, e.g Simm's Refrigerator Shirt? Concept sounds good, but do they work? Are they comfortable both in fit and material feel? Do you wear anything (T-shirt?) under them. Are they worth the cost?

Thanks, Bob H

You can find similar material shirts for a lot less w/o "SIMMS" on it.

I have quite a few, both long and short sleeve, although none are Simms. I've used them on the saltwater flats, and a lot in Oregon where summers are hot and we basically don't see clouds from June till October. They're way cooler than cotton shirts and are a good option to sunscreen.

I have several brands, not simms. All long sleeves. I wear them all summer even up into the high eighties and low nineties. I think I feel cooler than if I was shirtless.

I have them in a no name cheap department store brand. Yes they feel better and dry quicker. I would never pay "fishing" shirt prices for them. Any store selling work out clothing has them as well. No I don't wear anything under them. They are moisture wicking which provides the cooling effect. On a hot day it's still gonna be hot regardless of the shirt but they are more comfortable then a cotton t shirt.

Over the years I have had a bunch of fishing shirts. Also a bunch of synthetic, athletic type tops.

To me, they all make a difference only if there is a little bit of wind. Otherwise A hot and humid day is just miserable no matter what you wear.

But do the "store brands" have actual recycled stone particles woven into the material?

The fishing shirts I have are cooler not because of the material as much as because they are cut to fit loosely and have large vents. A shirt of that nylon poly blend otherwise sticks to me and is hotter and stinks, well even the loose fitting ones stink.

Which "cooling shirts" are you guys talking about? If you're talking about the normal type of "fishing shirt" that is made of the lighter weight material and has a back vent and arm vents then I use those. Mine are all the World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro) which are only about $25 and I find them to be very comfortable on hot days. If its some sort of other shirt? Then I have no idea what they are and must be out of the loop lol

I have several shirts of various brands. Some of my favs are Reel Legends that I picked up in Florida.

As said earlier if there is a breeze they are all great. If no breeze they are all stinking hot.

I have several brands and styles. Colombia, word wide sportsman, under armor, reel legends, and a few others. . Nothing from Simms though.. They are definitely not all the same. They all have the vents and thin material, but it's in the material where the differences are.

Colombia makes a few different styles that are no different than the world wide sportsman or reel legends shirts, and they both make a cotton one that is to be avoided if you want to keep cool. They can be cooler than a t shirt at times, but, like others have said at times they may seem hotter.

The Colombia tamiami and the under armours are my favorite. They are far superior in keeping cool over the others that I have.

I have two colombia tamiami shirts that were purchased at goodwill with tags still on them. The material has a small checkerboard weave in it..that's how to spot them. The tags rarely state the model.

I have a couple under armour shirts my brother got for me when he worked at dicks. They are awesome. Light, comfortable, and a lot cooler than the standard colombia and bass pro brand.

Amazes me all these super thin shirts are actually UV safe for us skin cancer guys....