Fly Tying

The upcoming season

With the upcoming season and the new Entomology forum when you guys get out this spring and your playing in the rocks trying to match the hatch try and gets some pics of some of the aquatic life that you find. Especially anything that you can't identify so some of the knowledgable folks here can help identify that species. It could also help people traveling to your area get a better understanding of the bug life in that area.

If anyone else has any good ideas for the new entomology forum please let us know, this is one forum I'm real excited about and can't wait to see what happens in here the next few months.

This forum will be fun and the aquatic life is fascinating. Every log, rock and muck contains a complete environment for survival. I have been talking to Marc KF2 about the aquatic structure on his river and it's basically caddis. Every log is covered with case builders. I had to kill a trout last opening day and it was full of these. Not just 2 or 3, but a whole handful. Each system is different as is the forage. To be aware of the forage structure makes all of us better fishermen.

This is very exciting. Thanks Will wink.gif Your willingness to continually improve this site is much appreciated. The diversity (geographically) of our membership is sure to bring some strange critters to the table.

It will be very educational headbang.gif

I have been talking to Marc KF2 about the aquatic structure on his river and it's basically caddis. Every log is covered with case builders.

I have found this to be true on just about every ditch with flowing water in it Ralf. Not necessarily trout streams, and even with little to no evidence of a hatch. Under every rock you'll find caddis though. Not as picky as mayflies or stones. If the water moves, there will be caddis. The Paint is a prime example.

Al

Maybe this forum will help me get it all straight! Or just make it worse!! LOL No one warned me that there was SO much to learn: fish location, fly types, wet, dry, weighted lines and flies, etc. God help me, please!! smile.gif

Hunter,

That is the very thing that I really enjoy about fly fishing, you never learn it all. You can spend a lifetime studying all of the elements of the aquatic world and barely scratch the surface.

OH, thanks SM, I really needed to hear that! I wish that I had someone in my area to go with to learn the ropes. I am a hands on learner but will give it a try. At this point, basic info is best! Maybe I should wait and try to learn more about tying later and learn to fish for now:) Or maybe a combo is the best..... Either way, I look forward to the frustration and jubilation! Cant wait for my first catch!! MAYBE at the end of the month outing smile.gif

This can be the most confusing aspect of our sport. I think this forum is a great idea and look forward to the pics and questions. I think the most interesting aspect will be seeing the size, color and shape difference in the same species in different streams and parts of the world (we are becoming global now with all the folks from over seas).

Amen to what Shoe said Will, your willingness to constantly update and improve deserves some accolades. headbang.gif

yeah, yeah, yeah...nevermind the hours of research I do to keep you fellas educated about the life of a stream....this is such a thankless job!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

When I volunteered to take on the Bug Talk section, I jumped in eagerly and moronically. I am learning as I go, but if anyone has anything to contribute to any of the posts, i encourage you to do so!!! Think this is going to be educational for me and the forum! biggrin.gif