Fly Tying

I have on the right side a torch by Orvis and a new one on left by Craftsman. I use Bug-Bond from Orvis. The Orvis torch leaves a tacky residue no matter the time torched or freshness of battery. The Craftsman torch however leaves the resin tackles and less time needed. Price is under $10.00 with Duracell batteries from Lowes home improvements. For those looking for a better torch it might be your answer.

FC741A6D-33A4-416C-BD4D-73259D8FAAD3_zps

I got the Quarrow lite from BPShop where they were selling Loon. I opted for 4oz of Solarez, ordered. It has 9 bulbs. Pretty fast few seconds. Recently got the Scorpion Master at Sportsman Warehouse that has 32 bulbs and is for blood trailing, $20. They had smaller ones$10,$15. It is pretty much instant with lil longer to kill the tackiness and covers big area. Problem I've had is lil push button wares out. I have to rotate the lil one for on/off now.

Torch.....Sheesh my oxy-acetylene torch works at 3000-3400 degrees can't see calling these things torches. Whatever....

IMG_4380.jpg

...dang button is sensitive....

IMG_4379.jpg

Some LEDs put out lotta UV too.....Before I was able to get the resin and lite I got this from Boutique and some finger nail polish gel that was lite activated. Stuff musta been Loon always tacky....I throw bunch in it to harden, 25 second cycles, but was $52 gel was $12

IMG_4382.jpg

torch

tôrCH/Submit

noun

historical

a portable means of illumination such as a piece of wood or cloth soaked in tallow or an oil lamp on a pole, sometimes carried ceremonially.

synonyms: light, flame; More

British term for flashlight (sense 1).

Welding/ cutting torch in the sense of forming something rather than illuminating....must be old dictionary.

Powershooter gave me a $5.00 UV torch he got from E-bay. It worked for a while and then quit ... I couldn't figure out why. But, I found them, and bought another one for the same price. I had to look for it though ... because I DIDN'T want one with multiple LEDs.

We're using them to cure the resin on the head of a fly. Every LED outside of that "circumference" is just wasted energy, draining your batteries for no reason.

Bought the single LED light. One LED with a ton of power ... usually makes the UV smoke if I'm holding it too close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Powered-UV-Lamp-Black-Light-Ultra-Violet-Flashlight-395nm-W-5Watt-LED-Chip/113041307446?epid=11020171420&hash=item1a51c97736%3Ag%3AoOYAAOSwDZ1bFKis&_sacat=0&_nkw=uv+single+LED+flashlight&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Never realized how they really work. I'm going the wrong way! I did know getting them hot was not good. Never had that just got warm....my guy thought wrong too. More is not necessarily better. We got this one oughta hunting section used for blood trailing.

IMG_4386.png

Somehow I've managed to miss the whole uv resin phenomenon thus far but if I ever get into it I'll search out one of these less expensive lights then. Good to know they work as well and even better than the tying industry's high priced brand name ones..

the tying indusrty (uv retailers) is not buying anything special, theyre just charging a higher premium for the exact same light you can buy on amazon or ebay for $6.95 or even less

dont be fooled into buying "their brand" light

some tyers claim you can only use the solarez light to cure solarez fly tying resins. i call bullsh1t on that one

i use this 21 light uv flashlight to cure different name brands (loon, solarez etc). works great. $2.75 + free shipping from hong kong

21-LED-395-nM-UV-Ultra-Violet-Blacklight

https://picclick.com/?q=uv+flashlights

Yea Coke announced they were increasing prices partially due to the tariffs on aluminum. $20 per ton equals a penny a pound and there is probably less than a tenth of a pound of aluminum in a can. Guess that really put a hurt on their bottom line!

Good info passed on. I do know for a fact that the Orvis brand doesnt emit the same UV light as the craftsman does. In fact the craftsman emits brighter and more than double the distance.

the tying indusrty (uv retailers) is not buying anything special, theyre just charging a higher premium for the exact same light you can buy on amazon or ebay for $6.95 or even less

dont be fooled into buying "their brand" light

some tyers claim you can only use the solarez light to cure solarez fly tying resins. i call bullsh1t on that one

i use this 21 light uv flashlight to cure different name brands (loon, solarez etc). works great. $2.75 + free shipping from hong kong

21-LED-395-nM-UV-Ultra-Violet-Blacklight

https://picclick.com/?q=uv+flashlights

That's what I'm getting out of this thread, very good then ! If I get a hankering to try uv resin ( bound to happen eventually) any time soon I'll buy something other than resin brand name lights.

I jumped on the craze but it somewhat quickly lost its luster. Just to expensive and it's only benifit is quick and pretty. Pretty don't catch fish and quick doesn't interest me.