Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Marc Petitjean CDC book

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BobHRAH

BobHRAH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Has anyone bought or read a review on this book?  It looks amazing, but is pretty pricey?

Thanks, Bob H

#2 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

Intriguing. I had not known about this book. Price seems unimportant to me if you are a Petitjean fan (it is his only book after all), but it looks like a limited printing only available currently from one source, which is quite a disincentive. Was unable to find any reviews even on the UK boards, so must not have been out for very long. Petitjean is going to be at the November Fly Tying Symposium in Nov. (http://www.danblanto...e.php?id=209886) so if you are near there you can probably pick up a copy.

There are not that many books on CDC in general, but if you have not found Leon Link's book Tying Flies with CDC, I'd highly recommend it.

#3 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

It is  new , from this Spring and was made together with Barry Ord Clarke (who made the photos )

cheers

Lucian

FFF CI

my Blog: www.flytying.ro

#4 wileecoyote

wileecoyote

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Hi Bob,  This book is not for the casual CDC fly tyer, it is a thorough study of CDC. After reviewing the book one can see why the cost, 75% of book is photos detail tying techniques. With the names Marc Petitjean and Barry Ord Clarke on cover I would expect nothing but the best. Money well spent for the knowledge obtained.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,491 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

75% of the book is photos?  And you don't consider this a book for the "casual CDC fly tier"?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Marc Petitjean = $$$

Not enough in my social security check to cover his brand

:)

An ostrich’s eye is bigger than it’s brain. I happen to know some people that have the same thing.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. Somedays i feel the same way

A "grammatical pedantry syndrome" is a form of OCD in which suffers feel the need to correct every grammatical error that they see. Guess who?

#7 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:40 AM

500 pages & 3000 photos per BOC https://thefeatherbe...n-cdc-the-book/

Review by Martin Joergensen https://globalflyfis...w/petitjean-cdc

~$80, probably a bargain for what is, if you use books or collect them.  Price is about a tank of gas...money ain't worth much these days

I'm kinda interested in getting a CDC to compare with Gartside's CPF, the CPF is more attainable for me.