Fly Tying
getholdofjoru

Clear Mono as a tying thread?

I've heard talk about using clear mono as a tying thread.

My first reaction is that this is a special mono specifically for tying.

Is this the case or will any mono do? If so, is there a specific brand or pound test that works well?

I'm wanting to tie streamers for bass.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure, and I didn't see any in my fly shop. So I wrapped an empty spool with 2lb Maxima Ultra Green and it worked just fine for bass streamers.

Hi All;

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/T...=TW-030085-0000

Uni-thread clear mono tying thread is typically used in tying "Puglisi baitfish" type patterns.

The advantage is that the thread is transparent and does not over shadow any of the colors in a particular pattern and is thus "invisible."

I saw Jay "Fishy" Fullum use it at a fly tying show and he used it so he could change from tying one pattern to another without having to switch thread colors.

I use it for my "Puglisi baitfish" patterns and it works quite well for that.

It streches considerably and takes a few more winds to get it to initially stay on a hook but, that said it seems fairly strong.

I've heard of people using mono sewing thread which is a little cheaper but I haven't used an entire spool of clear uni thread to find the need to test the clear sewing thread yet.

Wayne

Ive used the uni mono thread on many saltwater patterns. The stuff is super strong. I also just discovered that mono thread appeared to be the thread of choice of many older tyers. the box of materials I just bought from a retiring fly fisher had plenty of thread and it was predominately labeled mono thread. I think that this old variety of mono is much different than the uni mono. The old mono appears to be about 6/0 in all characteristics. Maybe in the past it was meant to mean one and not monofiliament.

I have tying with mono for years mostly for salt water. Its finer than 2lb test. Great stuff, just make sure you finnish correctly and use glue or sally hansens hard as nails. Am suprized more tyers havn't used it before. Its been around since the 70's

I use it for ribbing and also for saltwater flies, as mentioned before you have you to coat it with epoxy. What's cool is that it disappears when you coat it so the colors below shine right through.... I have some nymph and cased caddis ideas that I haven't had time to play with.

I've used clear mono thread to tie a few patterns.... I also carry a spool of it in my vest for real picky trout.... makes a nice tippet.... used to use it a good bit when fishing The Run in Boiling Springs. I bought mine at a fabric store, it's called blind stitching or blind hem mono thread.

The clear mono thread in question is used for on EP baitfish patterns and other bait fish patterns and including small clousers. I been buying mine from wally world (Coats Transparent) and is great for 7X tippet size. I have tested it with Rio and a few 7X tippet and they all break at same poundage. Contray to what someone said you cannot put to much tension otherwise it will break rather easily. You can also use heavier mono to make nice segmented bodies on dries ,emergers and saltwater patterns. it's been around for quite awhile though. I found some older stuff from Gudebrod Sew Guide which is transparent nylon while wally stuff is clear polyester.

I like danville's in ultra fine. Most people use it for saltwater flies etc.... I use it mainly for striper flies. It lets the colors show through and it hides well as people said when you coat it. It's fairly durable too. I believe it's around the 2lb mark and yes you can buy a regular spool of fine mono according to some people.

Its my go to "thread". I've been using cler mono for most salt water patterns and for many warm water patterns for years. I do however double-up on whip finishing and always coat with a good head cement, Sally Hansen's, or epoxy.

My flies are very strong and my heads almost never fail...

Bowfin47

As others have said, since mono is clear it makes your wraps almost invisible allowing the materials to be seen even under the wraps. It is essential for EP flies and other baitfish flies like surf candies, glass minnow imitations and other salt water flies. I agree with Bowfin47 that you should double up on whip finishes since they can slip on mono. Also you need to epoxy the head or use a few coats of Sally Hansens.

I have been addicted to Larva Lace's Ultra Fine Nylon Thread for years. I beleive it a variation of clear mono in how it acts. I love the fact that it is very low build and hides when i have to make extra wraps to get bullky things tied in.