Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Squishy Head Bluegill

Bluegill Streamer Bass Fly warm water fly fly tying

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

Great looking fly!
How does it cast? I tied a big bass streamer once with a bunch of bullfrog dubbing and it was a real struggle on a 5wt. When it was wet.

Yeah it's not easy on a 5wt, but who fishes bass and pike on a 5wt? It's fine on my sage method 6wt...

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#17 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Err... me? :)
Bimini15

#18 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

Sorry. Did not mean to do a Capt. Obvious. I just wonder if the Arctic Wind sheds enough water to make the fly noticeably lighter than a similar all bull frog fly.

I'm still using a lot of bull frog...  Arctic Wind will shed water much better, however I only really use it as accent colors on this fly.  Most of it is tied with Bull Frog.. 

www.McFlyAngler.com

#19 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Err... me? :)

Rio (or other brands of which I am not aware) intermediate or sink tip attachment could help with the soggy materials issue. I am very often amazed when I swim test a fly that is mostly bouyant dressings, and still casts like a wet sock :(
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#20 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Err... me? smile.png

Rio (or other brands of which I am not aware) intermediate or sink tip attachment could help with the soggy materials issue. I am very often amazed when I swim test a fly that is mostly bouyant dressings, and still casts like a wet sock sad.png

Yes, this is one of those, its buoyant and light, but once you put it in the water, the outer casing soaks up water (the center of the fly stays pretty dry though and keeps its buoyancy pretty well).  It will cast a bit more difficult than say a clouser minnow or something...  But, like you said, there are some good fly lines that do cast larger, heavier flies pretty well.  There would be no pike fly fishing without the ability to cast large, heavy and wind resistant flies...   HAHA  

www.McFlyAngler.com

#21 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

McFly, check out my pictures in the Inconoclastic Irreverence thread, in the Lodge forum, as I think you meant to say "... pike fly {rod} fishing..."

Just saying there are a lot of ways to present flies to the fishies ;)

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bluegill, Streamer, Bass Fly, warm water fly, fly tying