Fly Tying
sniksoh

cutting wire

instead of using your expensive fly tying scissors for gutting wire, just by a cheap pair of fingernail clippers and thay work even better...i have cut through very tough wire with these and they hardley ever get damaged!!!

I bought a pair of the Titanium scissors from Wal-Mart for about $5 for cutting wire and tinsel. But .. I have now also gone to using just a fingernail clipper, too. Can't beat it .. at least I don't think so.

Mike

I use an old pair for wire, and another old pair for hair. I put diffrerent color stripes of nail polish on the each so I can tell them apart from the good ones. I'll try the clippers, sounds like a good idea.

I use a tiny pair of wire cutters, and I would forget which color is for what if I tried to paint mine. :wallbash:

I just give the wire a wiggle & a snap. Metal fatigue is sometimes a good thing. I don't have to stop & pick up another tool to trim the excess. But I have to agree you can't beat a pair of .99 cent clippers to do the dirty work.

I use diagonal cutters.......a bit old but still work like the day i got them. B)

Sniksoh,

Good tip ! Fingernail clippers are great for cutting wire and other things. I also use them to cut close the wing cases on GRHE as well as some collar materials. Sure saves the scissors.