Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

8 years smoke free

Today is exactly 8 years since I became a non smoker. At $7 a pack and a pack a day that's $20,000+ I have not blown on smoke and instead blown on things I enjoy like bonsai trees, fish and fishing lol. Wonder if I'll get a thank you card from my lungs in he mail today lol. Honestly though I had tried to quit 100's of times before, not sure what made me actually make my mind up to finally do it 8 years ago like I did, but I laid them down and never touched them again thankfully.

Good for you. I smoked up to 2 packs a day when I was a kid. Especially if drinking was involved which it often was. Then I met my wife (who didn't smoke). Decision was easy for me. Going on 34 years.

I can't remember. I quit sometime near you, Steve. I think a bit before. Been so long since I even wanted one, I just don't remember.

Wife smokes, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I didn't quit for health reasons ... but when they went over $4.00 a pack. "Too rich for my blood." Unlike most people ... I've noticed no improvement in my "quality of life" since quitting. But, as you say ... I've saved a ton of money.

Unlike you, I DIDN'T spend it on a mud truck I can't fit into !!!

PS ... Congratulations on 8 years !!!

The health benefits have been really noticeable for me. The last year of my smoking I had started coughing really bad, especially when I would lay down at night. And just walking any long distance use to wear me out and have me breathing hard. Since I quit I can't remember the last time I had a cough, and I am never out of breath walking / biking these days. I'm amazed at how much they cost these days as well. I was paying around $6 a pack when I quit, but now I see the ones I use to smoke (Newport 100's) are $7 and even $8 at some places. Just crazy.

True. Although it's been a while, I remember carrying an arm load of firewood into the cabin and had to sit and catch my breath. Never happened to me before and that's not good for someone in their mid-twenties. They were a lot cheaper then, that's for sure.

Thanks to both Mike and Steve! I lost my mother at a very early age primarilly due to smoking. My father, although heartborken, was with us for more years - I am sure because he quit smoking after seeing Bob Newhart do his "Sir Walter Raliegh" routine...check it out if you want to feel crazy about smoking!

19 yrs for me. Heck, quittin is easy, I must have accomplished 20-30 times before finally quitting for good 19 yrs ago. Never looked back and have no desire for tobacco, except for me it was pipes/tobacco and not cigarettes.

Wow Dave. How long did you smoke? I STARTED smoking around 1970 and quit 2 years ago next month. When I started a pouch of tobacco c/w papers cost 50 cents. When I quit the same brand pouch was $ 27.00 and I needed one for every day. (In Canada, liquor and tobacco taxes are very high, but heart attacks are free) I was so pleased when the coughing very quickly stopped but disappointed by the general loss of energy. I now enjoy a good cigar once and awhile without inhaling and today is 4/20. (Yes I do inhale)

Wow Dave. How long did you smoke?

About 6 or 7 years, I was 15 when I started and 21 or 22 when I quit. By they way the price had climbed to $.50 a pack.

congratulations to you on this effort. I quit many years ago, before the price of smokes went through the roof. Keep up the good work.

One of the few things in life I can say with 100% confidence that I absolutely made the right decision was to quit smoking in 2009.

Good for you quitting!!