Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

A clean, semi organized desk, and some trout ties!

I've been a busy bee at vice lately. With my trout trip coming up I've been tying lots of new to me patterns. It has certainly been a learning curve. Hopefully I can get these darn pics to work...! I would love to get some critiques from y'all!

Also included are some pics of my tying setup. I made a vice base out of some rough cut cedar. It can still use some sandpaper and varnish but it works for now.

(It is telling me the pics of my desk and full fly boxes are too big to upload... they're the same as the fly pics.. what's going on?!)

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

Flies look great! Curious to know how those antenna will work on the Godard Caddis - I've only ever used strip hackle stems for them. Where are you heading for trout this time of year? Rivers around me are warming up :(

Flies look great! Curious to know how those antenna will work on the Godard Caddis - I've only ever used strip hackle stems for them. Where are you heading for trout this time of year? Rivers around me are warming up :(

Me too. I'm afraid the rubber antennae will be too thick.

Maggie Valley NC. We will see how it goes...

Try cropping the pic that is too big that usually works for me. Nice job on the flies

Try cropping the pic that is too big that usually works for me. Nice job on the flies

I tried that. If I crop it any more you couldn't see the desk!

Yep, just edit the pic and crop it as much as you can without losing what you want in shot and that will usually do it.

The flies look good. Depending on where you fish one of the things you'll need in many areas is small flies. Can't tell the size of yours but if nothing is smaller than 18 it's not small enough. In the more heavily fished rivers in CO anything bigger than a 20 is left in the box. Midges and tiny, simple beadheads of 22 and 24 are the call on many streams around the country unless there is a bigger hatch going on. Soft hackles in 14 and 16 can often be swung to bring fish in when everyone is super small. Tiny streamers are a sleeper that many of the guys who are really fishing almost daily tell me that is what you should give a try to in the daytime when nothing's happening on surface. Small buggers should do the job for you there.

Anyway, flies are great, good luck and think of some of us guys who can't get out there with ya' when you're terrorizing them poor trout.

Nick

Nice ties, I think the NC trout will like your offerings. Have you checked any hatch charts or local reports so you know what bugs to expect? Summertime usually means evening caddis action and terrestrials, but I'm sure there'll be some mayflies or stoneflies as well. Hope you have a good trip.

I would suggest using 2 fibers of mallard flank for the antennae on the Caddis. The rubber will tip the fly on its nose.

Rather than crop the image, you should resize. Most editing software will have a way to resize the image. Resizing simply makes the image smaller without changing the overall view. Cropping should be done first before resizing. Crop to get rid of unwanted background areas.

Try a second post with the desk images.

Maggie Valley NC. We will see how it goes..

I was in the Smokies last month. It's really warm going on hot in the mountains now. Mid 80's. You won't need waders just wet wade.

You might also want to tie-up some Yellow Sallies, small brown mayfly nymphs (16, 18) and some small size 18 light cream dry flies and caddis nymphs. Ants, beetles and other crawling bugs are out also.

smoky-9.jpg

smoky-10.jpg

Spiralspey and DrLogik thank you both. I'm using the hatch chart here.

http://www.ngatu692.com/hatch_chart/all_year.htm

I'll tie some of those up tonight DrLogik. We plan to wet wade.

Thank you to Mike, Utyer, Nic, and everyone else too. I appreciate it. (Utyer would PT fibers work instead of mallard. No mallard in my collection haha.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the antenna on the Goddard caddis. They're only gonna break off or fold back over the body and it's probably not a feature the trout are keying on

A couple of stripped hackle stems will work if you think it that important