Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bamagillslayer

bluegill flies

Most trout patterns work very well for gills. Try Wooly Worms, Bead head patterns,

small poppers, simple dry flies, classic wets flies like Partridge and Orange, etc.

Patterns with movement, like rubber legs, are killers.

Love fishing for gills. Many a flyfisher has cut his teeth on Bluegills, and probably every

one of us still have a ball on the ponds.

one of the great bluegill flies that have worked for me time and time again is the Bully's Spider and is easy to tie.

and as Chase Creek stated, allot trout flies work for gills too, nymph patterns are good. if you search the fly pattern database here you'll find tons of great patterns believe me :)

be creative. one of the joys of fly tying :)

good luck,

Mike

I have had really good luck with a simplified royal coachman tied with a wet hackle and fished as streamer. As noted, most trout patterns work well, but the Bluegills really seem to like this fly and the takes are particularly hard. My first fish was a bluegil (who's wasn't) and I still go for them a few times a year. It's great fun.

Mike.

I have had good luck with a fly call stealth bomber with out putting on the deer tail as a tail. :headbang:

thanks guys. i will have to them a try.

I have had really good luck with a simplified royal coachman tied with a wet hackle and fished as streamer. As noted, most trout patterns work well, but the Bluegills really seem to like this fly and the takes are particularly hard. My first fish was a bluegil (who's wasn't) and I still go for them a few times a year. It's great fun.

Mike.

I have had good luck with a fly call stealth bomber with out putting on the deer tail as a tail. :headbang:

Are those in the data base? I have not had time to search it yet?

Are those in the data base? I have not had time to search it yet?

The royal coachman I use is really simple:

Hook: wet 14-18

Tail: Hackle fibers (sometimes I skip the tail)

Body: Peacock herl split in the middle by a band of red floss (Google Royal coachman for a picture if this is confusing)

Hackle: Brown hen

I'm going to try and add some rubber legs at the head next time (thanks for the tip). Actually, that will start to look an awful lot like Bully's Spider :blink:

Here's a pic of a coachmen I used as a guide to tie for a friend of mine, it has white wings though. but it should give you idea of how the herl is split.

Mike

post-14555-1262737293_thumb.jpg

The one fly with which I've had most success is the Red Tag. Just like the brown hackle peacock, but you add a tail made of red bucktail (cut the tail short - about half the length of the hook gap, hanging out behind the bend). I was killin' the 8-10 inch 'gills with it last October!

You can find how to tie the stealth here flyfishga.com/stealth.htm. It tell you how to tie it and gives you a pattern on how to cut the foam. The gills in my area like it in white without the tail area. Pike and bass will like it to :headbang: