Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

New Tool

Just pulled the trigger and ordered one of these last night.

I've been using a little Craftsman contractor saw that I bought off of Craigslist for the last few years--this will be a significant upgrade in terms of ease of use and precision capability. It will also be a heck of a lot quieter.

Should keep me occupied with projects over the coming long winter. smile.png

post-36073-0-37283300-1507909496_thumb.jpg

That saw has to be the best value out there right now. Not a true cabinet saw but many features of one for about what you'd pay for a good Bosch or Dewalt contractor saw. www.grizzlyindustrial.com

No affiliation.

Real nice. That would work well on my jobs if you move them around. I contractor's saw is heavy to move from job to job.

Kevin

I bought a heavy-duty rolling base for it so I can move it around in my (very small) workshop, but you're right, it would be too heavy to transport to and from jobsites. In fact, its weight is the only thing that worries me a little bit about it--my shop is in my basement, and the shipping weight is over 350 pounds. However, I think once I take it off its pallet and out of its shipping crate, I'll be left with just the cabinet, motor and top. The fence and extension wings are in separate boxes. Even so, I'm going to need some help and a great deal of care to get it down the basement stairs.

Great saw. I've had one that I've used for building cabinets and furniture for 15 years and have been very happy with it.

I'm assuming your old saw had a right tit so your really going to love the left tilt. You shouldn't have a problem getting it in the basement. I have a delta and when it came shipped the rails, fence, motor and, I believe half the top if not the entir top were seperate. It was pretty easy to move around weight wise. It was still bulky but weightwise it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be but I didn't know it was going to be shipped in so many pieces. Glad it was.

That saw will provide all the accuracy and power you will ever need. Enjoy.

i'm really glad I posted this on here -- I've done my homework and read (or watched on YouTube) all the reviews of this saw that I could find, but it is encouraging to hear positive things about it from people here that I feel I can trust, instead of random strangers.

When I placed the order with Grizzly they said the saw was backordered until sometime in mid-November. Normally that would have bummed me out, but it's actually a good thing, I think. If the saw had come right away, it would have been too tempting to start using it with my current dust collection system (aka the shop vac). Since I've got some time, I'm using it to get a decent dust collector (Harbor Freight) and lay out ductwork, blast gates etc. so that, once the saw arrives, I can hook everything up to it. I should be making joyous noise and sawdust by early-to-mid-December. :)

Well, the heavy lifting part is done -- saw's down in my basement and assembled (mostly -- still have to see about the blade guard/splitter/riving knife assembly). I have to say I'm pretty pleased so far. Everything went together perfectly right out of the box--no re-drilling of holes, no missing parts, table is flat and level, cabinet and motor look perfect. Still waiting on some fittings for the dust collection system; those are supposed to show up tomorrow, as will the electrician who's going to give me an estimate on running the necessary wiring, outlets etc. for the whole thing. That's probably going to be some sticker shock, but it's an investment (that's what I keep telling my wife anyway). smile.png

still hoping to be using the new machine by mid-December -- we shall see.

post-36073-0-84341300-1512074432_thumb.jpg

That's a nice saw! Get yourself some Johnson paste wax. That's what I use on the tables of all my tools to keep them from rusting and to provide a slippery smooth surface.

Very nice surprised you aren't doing the electrical most of it is pretty basic, buy the right wire and breaker don't let anything you don't want electrocuted touch bare wire.