Fly Tying
WA5DX

2-Bank Marine Battery Charger

Good day to everyone,

I have custom ordered a new boat and it should be ready by the middle of this month. I plan to install a 2-Bank Marine Battery Charger and have been on the internet researching all the different brands and models. I have narrowed it down to two (2) and would like to get any input from anybody that has any experience with either model.

1) Pro Mariner model ProSport 8-amp 2-bank.

2) NOCO model Genius 8-amp 2-bank.

Thanks in advance for you help,

Thomas

No experience with either model but alll onboard chargers do the same thing. I'm sure either one will be just as good as the other. A better question would be will an 8 amp 2 bank charger be sufficient for my needs. If it's a two bank charger that means it's charging each battery at 4 amps. So the question becomes is a 4 amp charge sufficient for my needs. There's variables involved in deriving an answer so it's a very hard question to answer.

If your fishing once a week or once every three days 4 amps is plenty. This of course assumes your motor has an alternator to charge the batteries when your running. Even if you do, alternators also charge at different rates. If your boat has an alternator and you fish every day a 4 amp charge is probably sufficient to get the batteries charge for the next day.

If you don't have a motor with an alternator and are relying solely on the charger to charge your batteries for the next day a 4 amp charger likely won't do the job. Of course this is dependent on the load on the batteries, amp hours of the batteries and the type of batteries that you have. If your boat sits at the dock or in the driveway for days between use a 4 amp charge is most likely fine. But in this case a bigger charger is better. Batteries charge in phases (I don't know phase names) and you want to be able to charge into the 4th phase at times to get the most life from your batteries. Depending on use, alternator or not, and battery type and size you may not ever get it in the maintenance phase.

All of this is probably pointless and a 4 amp charge will be more then enough but bigger is always better just to make sure. I have a 2 bank 12 amp on board charger. I have a great alternator and have no charging issues. Ive also attached little battery charge indicators on each battery so at a glance I can see their charge level. I would recommend a set of these to help you determine if the size of your charger and your alternator are sufficient to your boating needs.

Otherwise, no need to sweat which brand to buy.

I don't know those brands ... and actually am not here to talk about "chargers". I do want to say a few words about the batteries, though.

There are two kinds of batteries used on fishing boats: Starting batteries and marine batteries.

Starting batteries are design for one thing, a fast dump of current through a starter motor to turn the engine over. They have thinner plates and can withstand larger temperature differences as quick discharge/recharge cycles occur.

Built in alternators are designed to also rapidly recharge starting batteries and maintain them. The regulator works to allow over 100 amps of flow when a low battery is connected to it. The regulator also responds directly to resistance through the battery, which increases as it charges, reaching almost an "open circuit" (infinite resistance) when fully charged.

Marine batteries are designed to slowly release current flow over long periods of time. They have thicker plates, which can warp if the heat changes too rapidly.

Battery chargers are MUCH better at recharging these batteries, as maximum amperage is lower (I.E. the above mentioned 4 or 8 amp chargers) They work the same as an alternator, as the battery reaches full charge amperage reduces as resistance rises, but they take a longer time to get a battery to full charge. This prevent the heat build up that can be reached with an alternator's current.

Alternators should be hooked to the starting battery(ies) and all electronics required while running the engine. Marine batteries should be hooked to trolling motors and depth finders ... things used while the engine is off.