Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Under one year

Today I hit a milestone. I have 11 months and 30 days left until retirement! I can finally say I have less than one year left. 216 work shifts left but who's counting. I've been plusing up on some gear and I'm getting ready to get a new truck and a repower on my boat in preparation for a long sought epic life change. Damn I can't believe it's almost here!

I will never retire. My idea would be doing some guiding here and there, tie some flies, but really just pass everything I will have learned when I'm old to the younger generation. All those old guys who pass tidbits of info, as well as a lot of folks on here who have taught me (remember how my clousers used to look?!). I am very grateful for these people because they have truly helped me learn, which in turn fuels my passion for all things fly fishing. One day, I'll be the crazy old guy with a nickname at the fly shop or the shows gladly passing it on to the next generation. If the knowledge isn't passed down, then in my opinion the true essence of fly fishing is gone.

Heard this quote in silver kings. "You did not create this sport nor will you keep it. And you weren't the first one to do it and won't be the last".

Moral of the story, pass it on especially to a kid who is hungry for knowledge and truly cares about fly fishing.

Congratulations!

I'll be able to retire in about ... well, sometime before the next century starts.

I will never retire. My idea would be doing some guiding here and there, tie some flies, but really just pass everything I will have learned when I'm old to the younger generation. All those old guys who pass tidbits of info, as well as a lot of folks on here who have taught me (remember how my clousers used to look?!). I am very grateful for these people because they have truly helped me learn, which in turn fuels my passion for all things fly fishing. One day, I'll be the crazy old guy with a nickname at the fly shop or the shows gladly passing it on to the next generation. If the knowledge isn't passed down, then in my opinion the true essence of fly fishing is gone.

Heard this quote in silver kings. "You did not create this sport nor will you keep it. And you weren't the first one to do it and won't be the last".

Moral of the story, pass it on especially to a kid who is hungry for knowledge and truly cares about fly fishing.

Nice Flats, you're maturing ! But you also can volunteer to do those things you mention, it's not like a must work to pay the bills and it might be swing shifts or travel away from home or some boring 9-5 in an office that causes drudgery but has to be none the less. I never really minded my work so much till after about age 57 or so, heavy equipment just started getting heavier and heavier for me. My work actually started to hurt me physically but I went till one day they cut me a deal to leave with my full retirement, two years early.

Today I hit a milestone. I have 11 months and 30 days left until retirement! I can finally say I have less than one year left. 216 work shifts left but who's counting. I've been plusing up on some gear and I'm getting ready to get a new truck and a repower on my boat in preparation for a long sought epic life change. Damn I can't believe it's almost here!

Poopdeck, you won't believe how fast things will fill in the slot where your job was. It won't belong before you wonder how you had time to work.

Congrats!

My wife's uncle once told me that he was glad he was retired because going to all of the different doctors was a full time job...

Congratulations! I've got at least another 20 years before I can even consider it, but that doesn't stop me from daydreaming about it now and then. Just take it easy and don't do yourself a serious injury on the last lap! :)

Congratulations! I've got at least another 20 years before I can even consider it, but that doesn't stop me from daydreaming about it now and then. Just take it easy and don't do yourself a serious injury on the last lap! smile.png

You're not gonna retire until you're 95 yrs old?? happy.png