Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Back to The Basics

We all have meat flies, the kind you go to when the newest and greatest fail to produce. These are not much to look at, however, these are an example of my meat patterns and produce when nothing else will.

All are easy and quick to tie and neatness really doesn't matter.

What are your favorite no fail meat flies?

We named this the money maker a few years ago after it was the hit of the day with trout and reds…It really does catch just about anything that swims, nothing more than a jazzed up clouser.

post-27925-0-18590300-1394856862_thumb.jpg

post-27925-0-52876300-1394856878_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping this will be money maker 2.0

post-27925-0-50436000-1394856916_thumb.jpg

Craft fur shrimp. This one is tied on a #C70S D, it's plainer than the ones I tie on #1-2, but….Big reds love it. I'm hoping for sheepshead and maybe a black drum or two this year.

post-27925-0-88503000-1394856964_thumb.jpg

Squirrel shrimp. Who doesn't eat shrimp.

post-27925-0-15301900-1394856988_thumb.jpg

This one is experimental. It's tied on a #4, the SBS I followed said it's productive on red and black drum. Looks kind of carpy as well.

post-27925-0-43399600-1394857024_thumb.jpg

Good looking flies. I am still hanging with my panfish attractor ... which looks a lot like a scaled down version of your money maker.

I'll post a picture of it when I get home ... it's not on my work computer.

Looks like you've got some fine go-to stuff there. The mallard (teal?) really adds some "bugginess" to the last fly. Won't be long now before you'll be throwing those.

Good looking flies. I am still hanging with my panfish attractor ... which looks a lot like a scaled down version of your money maker.

I'll post a picture of it when I get home ... it's not on my work computer.

Thanks Mike, seems you can count on a clouser or variations of to catch anything anywhere. Are you back in Fl yet?

Looks like you've got some fine go-to stuff there. The mallard (teal?) really adds some "bugginess" to the last fly. Won't be long now before you'll be throwing those.

thanks PJ, it's mallard. I'm just trying to fill the holes in my fly box with must haves. I'm counting the days, think I'll get the 8wt out and wander down to the boat ramp and see if I can throw something resembling a loop. We're going to get some thunderstorms next couple of days, you still getting warmer weather?

Nice bunch of flies Panama.....I tie a craft fur shrimp like that with bead chain eyes and I use a sharpie to bar the tail. It was my best fly for winter trout on the ML. My bodies were just a tad fuller than the one pictured and Tan was the color........Even the seagulls liked them.

Awesome flies Dave. I can vouch for the Money Maker, it kills them in my area as well.

My go to fly is either a craft fur minnow tied partially hollow style

post-18514-0-71459000-1394974605_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-31643700-1394974555_thumb.jpg

And this one I call Andy's Candy. I tore the trout up yesterday and even got my first pomp on the fly with it. I have experimented with various colors for the head but far and away chartreuse works the best, which is the only way I tie it now.

post-18514-0-67362700-1394974705_thumb.jpg

Yes, I am back home.

It was a wonderful 77 degrees today ... and I got yard work done. After three weeks on the road, keeping Wife happy is even more important than fishing. It was too windy for me and my jon boat, anyway.

Here's the panfish attractor I was talking about. It seems to be my magic lure, catching fish of all species in my home waters, even when other patterns fail.

I have 4 to 6 fly rods on my boat, and each is rigged with a different type or size of fly. I always return to this pattern, as it's the one that produces, almost every time.

Nice bunch of flies Panama.....I tie a craft fur shrimp like that with bead chain eyes and I use a sharpie to bar the tail. It was my best fly for winter trout on the ML. My bodies were just a tad fuller than the one pictured and Tan was the color........Even the seagulls liked them.

Thanks, In the winter a craft fur shrimp is by far my favorite pattern for deeper water off the flats and in creeks.

Awesome flies Dave. I can vouch for the Money Maker, it kills them in my area as well.

attachicon.gifSAM_1540.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0085.JPG

And this one I call Andy's Candy. I tore the trout up yesterday and even got my first pomp on the fly with it. I have experimented with various colors for the head but far and away chartreuse works the best, which is the only way I tie it now.

attachicon.gifthumbm_img4c45116e47743.jpg

Ahhh Pompano….Has to be my favorite fish that swims. Congrats! Did you invite him home for dinner?

Yes, I am back home.

It was a wonderful 77 degrees today ... and I got yard work done. After three weeks on the road, keeping Wife happy is even more important than fishing. It was too windy for me and my jon boat, anyway.

Here's the panfish attractor I was talking about. It seems to be my magic lure, catching fish of all species in my home waters, even when other patterns fail.

attachicon.gifPanfish attractor.jpg

I have 4 to 6 fly rods on my boat, and each is rigged with a different type or size of fly. I always return to this pattern, as it's the one that produces, almost every time.

Glad to see someone else who'd rather put another rod in the boat than change flies. That's a good looking bug, what's the wing made of?

Oh yea Dave, he's coming for dinner tonight. It always amazes me that a fish so tasty is in the jack family. Then again, AJ's are mighty tasty as well, but not much compares to a pomp.

attachicon.gifSAM_1540.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0085.JPG

attachicon.gifthumbm_img4c45116e47743.jpg

Curious, what was the hook size on the one that got the pompano. I know they make it up to the NC beaches and maybe further north. Always wondered if they could be targeted walking the beaches.

I've fallen in love with the raccoon tail I salvaged from a road kill 'coon. I like the hair because it's slightly bushy and it holds that shape when wet. With the coon tail, It seems to be a bit more weedless than other materials I've tried.

Mudskimmer, it was on a Mustad 3407 #2. If you are going to target them on the beach then I would suggest going with lead eyes instead of bead chain to get it down after in the surf. Let it bounce of the bottom and kick up a poof of sand like a sand flea. On the East coast of Florida I have had good luck on goofy jigs in yellow, so that may be a color to try