Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Foam frogs

Saw this at Basspro took pic figured out my version...I think they tied rubber legs with thread I knotted mine and glued the knot...coated the hook with thread wraps and glued the foam w/ krazyglue. Gotta be careful with the glue and rubber too much destroys the elasticity of it.

Got some "puffy 3D paint" at Hobbylobby it's for fabric and made the spots "stand up"....

B4263B71-F019-4DD8-BACD-776755766BE5_zps

CD884627-2FEC-4019-A41A-597288FF0A19_zps

D05C506C-9859-49B1-8C57-7D4B0362D955_zps

Tried them out no fish much there but saw that they pop good with a "suck" like sound if you will rather than a chug pop, which I like. They cast fine with the 8 wt but the brown one landed upside down half the time and required the first pop to wright. I glued the 2 colors of rubber legs together and shortened more than the patern thinking they would fowl in the hook. That made them stiff and really no seprerate movement of the legs. Need to try a smaller size and leave the rubber alone maybe see for more leg movement. Otherwise they look real froggy and have a great sound! Might need weed guards on some too.

I buy or photo stuff I like then figure out from there. I can remember back in the late 60s bought a woven helgramite took it apart to figure out how to weave! These old fingers pretty much gave up on weaving anymore...getting more into the foam now but it's so easy....like cheating!

Oh, using up a lotta rubber. I bought a jig skirt kit years ago and can't find such anymore. The medium round in sheets is best for multiples. "Rainys rubber I believe is the place to get some? ( might be somewhere cheaper http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rainys-Round-Rubber-Legs/1439382.uts?productVariantId=3336289&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03581609&rid=20&gclid=CJecoL7ppNACFQOBaQodypMAmg&gclsrc=aw.ds )

Also discovered the "Puffy 3D" fabric paint stuff. Comes in pointed tubes dries kinda slow but really builds up but that's cheating too!

2BA0E7D2-B802-4B1F-B815-1691B1621D22_zps

4CCE5ED5-3BAF-450D-930F-9DC09DDDA87C_zps

Puffy paint is great for putting a bright neon colored sighter on the back of beetles and other dark foam flies. For the legs your probably not getting the movement you want because they are solid. try seperating the strands in the thigh area as well. That should make them move a lot better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JBLzAlcJFik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This looks like a variation of the 3F Frog, as featured some years ago in Fly Tyer Magazine. I tied up a bunch for a frog swap on here not long ago. Great pattern, and trickier than it looks to tie. I tie mine with slightly longer rear legs, but I'm sure the shorter-legged version will catch fish too.

Found this one on google not sure how the long foam legs would hold up after ole buck mouth smacked it a few times. But nice spot pattern...

00EBC79F-1043-4C11-BA7F-BAA7F40B641F_zps

Sheet rubber if around or maybe thin seude leather do legs is an idea. Wrapping foam for head/eyes ain't new. The pattern I went by rolled yellow foam into cylinder and underbody was narrow/ seprerate and not full size folded under. Need to keep bulk down I'd say...gonna try a smaller one with some thin foam...not lotta color choices...

F25DD2E8-467C-44FE-8922-23AE09699605_zps

AB56FF48-09CA-45D4-81E3-4261317E2E30_zps

The orange one is for lady that collects frogs(puffy paint won't stick to rubber underuse)

The greenun is killer bait!!!!

Wee litlin

89DE0DEE-BB2A-47C0-B86C-50BE1386C4AF_zps

C6809FD6-D1A0-4B32-B118-635F10613FE2_zps