Fly Tying

Decided to tie up one of Thomas Harvey's flies called "The Trophy Wife". Made it to imitate baby trout. Criticism would be appreciated! Tied on a size two owner hook.

post-48975-0-42579500-1422986174_thumb.jpg

Hook point down, it looks great... but it looks like you tied it hook point up, and the eyes on top. I wonder which way it's supposed to float. Also with the hook up, all that bushy material might interfere with hookups.

I'd like to hear what others say, since I've never tied one myself.

It rides hook point up, and there are lead eyes that ride like clouser minnow eyes. I just put holographic eyes on top of them to give this pattern more proportional sized eyes

Battenkill said what I had as my only "critique". Leave a little bit more room for the eye of the hook and make a smaller "head" of thread, but that is more for the fisherman than it is for the fish lol

I know this is an 'oldish' thread but.....

The tying has been commented on (as far as the head being a little crowed) - but what I notice is that the pink is on the top of the fly and the bunny and olive is on the bottom of the fly. If this fly is going to ride hook point down, then I think this has been tied upside down. If it is going to ride underwater with hook point up, then the colors are in proper order.

But the picture (as I view it) has been oriented to display this fly with the hook point down and thus the pink is on the 'upper' side as the fly is positioned in the picture. Looks like it may be a Regal vice or such sort so that may give me a clue that this is how you think the fly will ride undewater.

Now, I think the fly looks alright, don't get me wrong, but I have also heard 'sparse is good' too. I don't think your tie is too dense, but always guard yourself against being too dense in the materials applied.

Just my two cents worth.

BCT

But I think that trout and baitfish, generally, have darker colors on top, and lighter colors on the bottom of them. <--- the main point I wanted to make in the first place.

It rides hook point up, and there are lead eyes that ride like clouser minnow eyes. I just put holographic eyes on top of them to give this pattern more proportional sized eyes

BCT. He states here that it rides hook point UP.