Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly or Lure?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: fly or lure

All Fly or All Lure

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

the "fly" in question.....

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.JPG   210.05KB   766 downloads

Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#2 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

I told the guy that I bet it would take more trout than any streamers he can think of. There is a reason spinners work!!!

Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

#3 onceahoosier

onceahoosier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

A flyfishers spinner bait. The British call streamers "lures", midges are "buzzers", and the second floor the "first floor".... I bet it catches fish, so who cares.... Good luck!

Tom

#4 Hillbillyredear

Hillbillyredear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

Lure-anything that attracts, entices, or allures.
Yes it is a beefed up fly but Flies are lures also. It is a fly because it was tied as a traditional fly from what I can tell, but at the same time it is also a lure because it was created to "Lure or entice" the fish.
I chose trout snobs would never understand. I tie to catch fish not to show and tell and I am not just strictly fly fishing or tying I also tie jigs, spinner baits, buzz baits, and pour a few plastics. I'm in it for the fish not arts and crafts. However there is nothing more rewarding than tying your own and the fish bite on it.
Very nicely done tie you have there day5 it'll fish well. thumbup.gif
Hoosier Lure Craft

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
~Mark Twain~

#5 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

I'm no trout snob but hell I don't understand hysterical.gif if your feelings got hurt that surprises me but my gut says your just posting this just to provide an outlet for everyones opinions its ok little buddy I got your back and for a dozen of them there lures I will send the ninjas after that guy ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif boxing.gif boxing.gif

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#6 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

Gee...I don't know, Matt. Though there is an article in the latest issue of
FT that you might want to check out on how to make a spoon "fly" out of
Silly Putty.
If you want to call it a fly, buddy...you call it a fly. I'm sure Paul
will be happy to whip anyone who says otherwise tongue.gif

Mike

#7 oracle

oracle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

i totally agree with mike on this one this call it what you will and stick too it and send me about 4 of those i have a gar hangin around my place and keeps stealin my spinner baits i wanna catch him on my fly rod thats gonna be a nice fight.
SPOON!

#8 Twofingerz

Twofingerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:02 AM

for me, it would depend on how heavy it was. if you can't cast it with a spinning rod, it's a fly.
Grenell Island or bust!!
Yes, I make teeth.

#9 day5

day5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

Ya you know me Paul! booo hoooo LOL!!!! " but its not a classic and it has a blade .....gasp is that a JIG hook! " ......... LOL!!!

Brad Paisley

#10 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

RRSS - send out the ninjas!!!

I believe with most. I think a fly by definition is a lure. But, for me, I tend to call anything I know was tied a fly, and anything that was made some other way a lure.

what about an ice fishing jig? Not what I would have considered a fly 20 years ago, but now knowing that it is tied, maybe it is, but maybe it isn't.

actually....call it whatever the CUSTOMER calls it, but price it higher:

Day5 Lure - $5
Day5 Fly - $4

#11 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

essentially, ALL flies are lures
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#12 day5

day5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (oatka @ Nov 30 2010, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RRSS - send out the ninjas!!!

I believe with most. I think a fly by definition is a lure. But, for me, I tend to call anything I know was tied a fly, and anything that was made some other way a lure.

what about an ice fishing jig? Not what I would have considered a fly 20 years ago, but now knowing that it is tied, maybe it is, but maybe it isn't.

actually....call it whatever the CUSTOMER calls it, but price it higher:

Day5 Lure - $5
Day5 Fly - $4

Mike thats funny! I was in out local Big Box Tackle a few weeks ago looking for some plano boxes. and I happened to walk by the rapalas......20.00$ each!!!!!!!!!! What The Frick? 20 dollars for a rapala???????

Brad Paisley

#13 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

Matt my biggest battle has been to get these socalled realistic tyers from Europe and elsewhere to use a hook and thread instead of resin and glue. Your fly has a hook and I know you tied it. If you can cast it with your fly rod purist be damed , it's a fly.
Fred

P.S. spinners are great strike triggers.
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net

#14 Kirk Dietrich

Kirk Dietrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

If it don't land on a hamburger at a BBQ, then it ain't a fly. If it can be cast with a flyrod, it is a flyrod lure - if it ain't live bait, its a lure. The problem comes in where some time ago, people casting insect imitating lures on a flyrod began calling them flies.
If it can be cast with a flyrod, its a fly to me including my spoon and foam swimbait.
I've had people not want to use my Spoon Fly because it wasn't a fly until their buddy on the boat caught one fish after another.

Kirk
Every now and then, I'll make a video, wish I could find time to do more; here is the link:
http://www.youtube.c...et?feature=mhee

I've got a few folders with photos of flies, these get more updates than my videos:
http://s136.photobuc...rofile/kirkdiet

https://picasaweb.go...rich?feat=email

#15 boynabubble

boynabubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

It's a FLURE! headbang.gif

BNB
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------