Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

The lure building post

As you might know, I build lures. If you like seeing my lures, this is the place for you. If you want to share your lures and jigs, this is the place for you. If you want to see something other than flies, this is the place for you. If you want to... you get the idea.

Here's one from around last Christmas.

post-64672-0-81157900-1580251476_thumb.jpg

That was my first lure that I didn't mess up the eyes.

Here's a new one that I finished a few days ago.

post-64672-0-74250800-1580251564_thumb.png

Its a shad pattern for when I go to Arizona in the spring. That was probably one of my craziest lures with the joint and everything.

Hey, your pictures are getting better (more light), and your lures. Try those puppies on pike up here before you go. Most of all, have fun with it.

Those look pretty good, I would run a wire through or even just indent it on thr outside of the body to connect the eyes for the hooks to the eye you will be tying onto, don't want to lose the bass of a lifetime on a lure you made because the hooks pulled out, I've seen them almost completely rip the through wire out of an old wooden rapalla

Mark, the swimbait is a shad imitaition. I don't think there are shad in AK. Are there?

Might be a "shad" imitation ... but bait-fish are bait-fish. Food is food.

Most predator fish aren't as ... picky ... as trout are rumored to be, and will take anything that looks edible, even if it's not an exact match to a certain hatch.

Looking at the shad imitation..... are you hand carving the bodies?

If so, I'm impressed with your motivation.

What kind of wood are you using?

How much time do you have in a typical lure?

Not bad at all. Starting a craft at a young age such as you are is a great thing because if you enjoy it and stick with it by the time you're 20 you'll have your lure making skills honed and be making some great looking lures.

Also gotta give you some real credit here for something that impresses me. Most young men your age are too busy playing with their phones and electronic devices to even care to try to do something with their hands. It's really nice to see you keep on doing things with your hands like tying and lure making. Keep it up!

Steve

Mark, the swimbait is a shad imitaition. I don't think there are shad in AK. Are there?

No but pike will eat anything.

You should have a look at the Mini-lathe thread recently posted on this forum. You might like to have one and it would be very useful in lure making.

pyme fisher, yes, i doo hand carve them. I do use sandpaper to smooth them out (I did a terrible job on the swimbait.)

mark knapp, I actually have never caught a pike before. I never really had the chance to.

Steeldrifter, I think video games like madden (a football game) and Cabela's hunting expeditions are good for a little while. I know a kid who does 5 hours a day of video games, and I think that's just wrong. I love to make things, so lure building is the thing for me. Rod building is up next!

All, If you want me to make you a lure, just PM me. But, i will warn you, I am not known to ship things quickly (ask Pyme fisher), but I will do my best. Right now it's just a hobby, and I'm not too good at it yet, so you might want to wait for a little until I get better. The next thing I'm going to make is a jekbait, just so you know.

Yeah, Poopdeck that's James' biggest hero. He was showing me Marling's videos last time he (TIER) was over here. He (Marling) is quite entertaining. And those lures look pretty good.

Not bad at all. Starting a craft at a young age such as you are is a great thing because if you enjoy it and stick with it by the time you're 20 you'll have your lure making skills honed and be making some great looking lures.

Also gotta give you some real credit here for something that impresses me. Most young men your age are too busy playing with their phones and electronic devices to even care to try to do something with their hands. It's really nice to see you keep on doing things with your hands like tying and lure making. Keep it up!

Steve

Steve I could not agree with you more on this!