Fly Tying
kschu

Barbless or not for swaps?

Are your swap flies barbless or barb intact?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So the question is when you submit flies to a fly swap, do you submit them as barbless or do you leave the barb intact? This is not a general question of how you tie flies for yourself. This is specifically what you submit for swaps. I listed the answer choices as:

Barb intact - You left the barb on the hook.

Barbless - as in the hook was barbless when you bought it

Barb smashed - wether you smashed it in the vise or with a tool

Barb filed off - removed as opposed to smashed

Varies by type of fly

I expect that the "Varies by type" answer would be the true winner. I expect that more nymphs are tied barbless and more streamers are left intact. I expect that if I did a search of the forum, there has already been a discussion regarding barbless or not for flies one ties for personal use.

Let the opinions start rolling in.

More later,

Ken S.

Ken,

I leave my barbs intact for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm lazy 2) Barbless is a very personal preferance 3) If I need barbless then a smash them down for the river that I'm on for the day 4) It runs close to a soapbox issue in that "WE SHOULD ALL FISH BARBLESS....", I don't mix fishing with politic type issuses.

Art

I also leave the barbs. Most of the flies I use personally have barbs and the barbless flies I do use are for trout. With that said I'm not a good enough trout fly tyer to jump in many swaps so I stick with "bigger" flies and leave the barbs on

I leave the bards on for swaps since it helps to hold on the toe tags. I fish barbless so I can get hooks out of myself and my clothes (don't ask). sleeping.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Fish-N-Chip @ Jun 10 2004, 01:29 PM)
Some people like them mashed, some people don't care. I leave it up to them.

Same here. If you like barbed flies, it's tought to get a debarbed hook barbed again.

I leave the barb intacted. I figure it isn't my place to tell someone how they can fish my fly. If they want it barbless they can smash the barb themselve. For myself I like the barbless cause it is easier to get out of the fish with my sad eyesight. It is also easier to get out of me too.

Jim

i leave em barbed for the exact reasons mentioned above. I'm cool with anyone fishing in any way as long as its legal. If people fishing with barbs ticks you off, you have got to be upset at a lot of things in life, and thats no way to live. Its a personal decision.

steve

I leave the barb intact to let the fisher decide. I personally smash the barbs most of the time for easier penetration and removal.