Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Nantucket weekend report

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jared

jared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:58 AM

Headed over to the island to pull the boat, get her on the ferry and start the boston/cape/rhode island fall season.

Fortunate enough to get to fish all day Friday before the wife & kids joined me. Sparing everyone the gory details. Suffice to say that the albies were in....managed to boat 6 and lost 5 others. At one point it was 3 fish in 5 casts! The combination of tide, boat traffic, waves & swell just added to the excitement. Only had to do the "pass the 9' fly rod under the anchor line" a few times. All in all a great time on the water -- too bad I was fishing solo as multiple hook-ups would certainly have been feasible.

Highlight memory was probably standing @ the stern, having just finished a retrieve and watching how the fly was swimming in the water...a few inches under the surface and at most 3 feet from me, when an albie came up and nailed it....talk about COOL!! Threw the rod tip up and back as quickly as I could, and felt him for an instant, but then nothing...still to see a strike from above at that close range was truly awesome!!!!

Found several stripers to mid-20's later in the afternoon/evening, so that left me a blue short of the mini-slam.

Albies seemed to like silverside imitations (either in olive or in chartreuse). Stripers hit a variety of patterns.

(Took the nearly 3 year old out in the boat Saturday morning...I thought to have breakfast. She announced she wanted to drive the boat, so we did that for a while. I asked if she wanted to go fishing...she said yes, so we hit a spot that had been productive the night before for stripers...and sure enough.....smile.gif )

Now it's time to start hitting the spots off the mainland...probably Boston Harbor on Friday.

-Jared

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,501 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:40 AM

Sounds like a great weekend on the water! thumbsup.gif

test

#3 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:50 AM

Jared, great report! Thanks.

How do you view the fall season setting up in the areas you will fish? I honestly wonder if I'd have a free moment, but it sure sounds like a great way to spend time! rolleyes.gif

#4 jared

jared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:07 AM

Dave,

Hard to say...it all comes down to sea conditions (and most importantly water temp).

My "weekend" on Nantucket was actually Thursday night wading, Friday on the boat, Saturday boat in the AM and that was it....remnants from Ivan came through and the rest of the weekend was a bust. If we get more "residuals" from the southern storms, things can be greatly impacted.

From reports I'm getting, several of the places I'm likely to fish over the next month to 2 months are starting to heat up, so that's encouraging. How *long* they will last is anybody's guess however. But with luck, I'm hoping to stretch my season out at least through October and perhaps into November as well if things stay warm enough.

Last year, my schedule and the weather gods were not playing nicely, but the previous 2 years, I had banner Albie fishing the last weekend in October.

If you'd get that darn arm healthy, we could fish together!!

-J

#5 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

Good report jared, thanks for sharing.. cheers.gif
Work to live, live to fish.