Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

traveling tying kit

I currently use an old computer bag that works, but generally sucks. I want to come up with a way to transport my stuff easily, and not spend a fortune. Obviously vise and tools, plus materials. Right now I put the materials needed for each pattern in a separate plastic bag. Please post photos. I would, but as I said, my system sucks.

My "Travel Kit" is an 8" x 11" x 4" canvas case. Inside it has a 3 ring binder and heavy duty plastic bags that hold all my tools and materials. The bags are numbered, and I have some interchangeable extra bags. I have 2 indexes (one inside the front, and one in the back of the case, to keep track of what I have in each bag. Since I don't know just exactly what I may need or run out off on a long trip, I pack an assortment of basics. I have had this thing for about 25 years, and it has served me well. I don't put my vise in this kit. The vise is wrapped and goes inside a boot in my baggage.

post-12074-0-18728800-1540566486_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-42454900-1540566692_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-99203700-1540566708_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-81302200-1540566726_thumb.jpg

I have the Cabela's fy-tying bag. It was inexpensive ($30) and works okay, but is a bit small for larger items like full capes/saddles, "primo strips" of deer hair, etc. I like Utyer's system better, actually, especially the bit about an index telling what materials are stored in which bags. That would definitely be a time-saver for me.

plastic-grocery-bags-500x500.jpg

smile.png smile.png

Great idea but the local authorities have decided that plastic bags are evil, so I can't get them anymore.

I have a fly tying bag from B&W Sports (scroll down) http://www.bwsports.com/GearBags%20CarryBags.html

It holds a lot of stuff, but I hate the zip locks. They are hard to get closed properly.

I'm not a fan of carrying fragile feathers or sharp tools in bags, so, hard-sided; any brief case or suitcase can be adapted. Rip out the lining and put in partitions with light weight plywood or heavy corrugated board and hot glue.

I think the travel kit should include all the things that I might use at home- otherwise why bother? if the kit only has minimum materials for a pattern or three, I might as well tie a box full or two ahead of time and spend the travel time fishing.

Currently I have a medium large plastic bin full of Plano boxes (the size that holds a full cape or saddle)-not exactly for travel but works for storage and use and can travel. In the past I have designed and built a couple nice functional tying stations/cases that ended up sold.

This is soon to be my new project; http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/equipment/equipment2-2.html

I will likely make it bigger, maybe 18"x26"~

For tools and equipment, I use a plastic case ... I think it used to hold a drill.

travel kit 001.JPG

Various pieces of foam and plastic ... some steel rod and para-cord.

travel kit 002.JPG

travel kit 003.JPG

travel kit 004.JPG

And all my materials go into a $9.00 bag from Cabelas.

travel kit 008.JPG

Remember that, if you're flying, everything has to fit in your luggage, and NOT raise the weight over 50 pounds. I hit the road for 4 weeks in January ... in Virginia. I can't take fishing stuff, since most of the water is ugly, frozen crap. So I take my tying equipment. With all my clothes, the above kit fits in my bag and I am still just under the weight limit.

For tools and equipment, I use a plastic case ... I think it used to hold a drill.

attachicon.gif travel kit 001.JPG

Various pieces of foam and plastic ... some steel rod and para-cord.

attachicon.gif travel kit 002.JPG

attachicon.gif travel kit 003.JPG

attachicon.gif travel kit 004.JPG

And all my materials go into a $9.00 bag from Cabelas.

attachicon.gif travel kit 008.JPG

Remember that, if you're flying, everything has to fit in your luggage, and NOT raise the weight over 50 pounds. I hit the road for 4 weeks in January ... in Virginia. I can't take fishing stuff, since most of the water is ugly, frozen crap. So I take my tying equipment. With all my clothes, the above kit fits in my bag and I am still just under the weight limit.

I really like your set you.

I guess everyone's perception is different. I have been using a laptop bag for a number of years now, and find it ideal. Lots and lots of compartments, some full size. The center has padded dividers for my vise. It opens nearly flat. It does lack 3 ring binder, which would be nice for the plastic compartment sheets, otherwise very happy with it. Bought it fairly cheap at a luggage outlet. It has held up really well. I would replace it, but don't need to, with something as identical as I could find.

Good luck in finding something that fits your needs.

Thanks, Bob H

GO1805_oR1-1000x800.jpg

this gerstner chest (or similar ones) was popular many many years ago and often advertised in the fly tying/fishing rags but at over $1200 might not be cost effective today. it wasnt very light either