Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Do nymphs tied on jig hooks have to be tied "upside down"?

I'm trying to get into Euro nymph fishing for the coming season and have a question regarding jig hooks. Do they have to be tied upside down, so when they are dragged along the bottom, the fly is right-side up, or doesn't it make any difference.

i dont do small euro jighook flies. but all others tied on jighooks are lighter colored on the bottom and has a slight more material topside.

Might make a difference might not if you'd not tying then upside down I can't imagine their being a reason not to just the basic nymphs that are the same all the way around.

Yes. Face the wing case towards the hook point.

Does it really make a difference? I can't say. I sometimes wonder whether the trout examine the flies for the proper number of legs and width of wing-case or just take what appears to be the right shape or approximately the proper shades of color . . . more or less . . . so long as it is drifting naturally at the proper depth.

Show me any natural nymph that has a shiny gold head and a scorpion tail. ;-)

The majority of nymphs I tie on jig hooks are tied in-the-round. So they have no top or bottom.

I do pretty much the same thing, as Jaydub. Tie them in the round. No wing cases, a peacock thorax and soft hackles.

I'm trying to get into Euro nymph fishing for the coming season and have a question regarding jig hooks. Do they have to be tied upside down, so when they are dragged along the bottom, the fly is right-side up, or doesn't it make any difference.

Yes. But the ones I have seen have the wing case toward the hook eye like the copper john below and not toward the hook point. Same with the rest that follow.

Red-Copper-John-Jig-Nymph__2_.jpg

s-tungsten-jig-head-pt-2T.jpg

jig_hook_stonefly_nymph.jpg

DSC_8211.JPG

Seems pointless to me, to use a jig hook, which is designed to have the hook point up, if you're not going to tie the fly so that it's "back" is also up.

If you aren't going to tie the back towards the hook point, just use a regular hook.

TJ_Prince_Nymph.jpg

if youre tying a prince nymph or a stonefly on a jig style hook or flies that have wing cases then you could tie them "upside down" or not. its your choice

otherwise tie them in the "in the round" style

in the round (no wing cases)

https://www.google.com/search?q=euro+jig+flies&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF-tal9_TgAhUGd98KHWWDA8sQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=757

I've tried them both ways and can't tell any difference in the fish hitting them, but they're a lot easier to tie right-side up.

I think the question becomes why tie nymphs on jig hooks if orientation or how it floats is of no concern. I would assume if your tight lining them they will ride hook point up so I would tie then with that in mind.

I don't think Trout really have a preference and haven't noticed that there have been any refusals with the wing case tied on top:

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blog/wingcases-shellbacks-and-wings-to-invert-or-not-to-invert-that-is-the-question/

q6WWZgH.jpg

PT/TB

I think the question becomes why tie nymphs on jig hooks if orientation or how it floats is of no concern. I would assume if your tight lining them they will ride hook point up so I would tie then with that in mind.

Because they don't get hung up on the bottom as easily.

Exactly right. These are popular flies for tight line "contact' nymphing. Noice how many of the "tactical" Orvis flies are jig hook nymphs.

https://www.orvis.com/tactical-fly-fishing-flies

Frequent contributor Lucian Vasies has a page dedicated to these "tactical" flies.

http://www.flytying.ro/fishing-jig-nymphs/

Tactical or tactile? Tactile is "touch" ... tactical is basically planning, specifically, military planning.