Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
en4cer

Mustad hooks

just a quick question,

Have any of you found that the Mustad hooks bend , when you're trying to land a fish....???

I've been using the Mustad (salman and the wey nymph hooks) tying off a few flies before the little one wakes up for his next feeding. baby.gif ...to find that my hook bent, with the a little bit of pressure.......is this normal, if so....please point me in the direction of a good set of hooks, and where to get them ???

Thanks

What size are they? I bend small hooks all the time, but larger hooks, never. You're not on steroids are you? flex.gif

I've had fish straighten out hooks, and you should see what a Permit can do to a hook bugeyes.gif (you don't ever want to put your fingers in there), but only a couple of times. They were small nymph hooks, but I don't know who made them.

If a hook bends, never bend it back and reuse it. The hook can weaken this way, and part of it might fall off. just use a new one.

I use eagle claw hooks which never seem to bend on me.

I also use a variety of hook brands, but rely on Mustad for most of my tying. I have to agree with the review that OSD posted a link for, except it's a little out dated. Mustad has discontinued most, if not all of the Accu Point series hooks which had the 8000 designations.

The new Signature Series is now their better fly hooks, and they are even better than the older "8000" mentioned in that review. They're available for both freshwater & saltwater applications and are also very reasonably priced when compared to other brands.

The only problem with the Signature Series is they don't have a lot of styles to choose from, however this is fine for most tyers who only use a few basic styles anyway. If you use specialty type hooks, like many used for various trout flies then you'll have to stick with some of the other brands that offer a wider range of styles.

I would recommend the Signature Series for any type fly tying, fresh or saltwater. wink.gif

Right on OSD. I use all types of hooks, but I've never been let down by a Mustad. I don't buy hooks in large quantities (ususlly 25's or 50's), but I've tried most of 'em. Partrige, Timeco, Diiichi's, Dai-Riki's, etc. I have my favorites from each brand, but I've never had a problem with the strength of a good ol' Mustad as compaired to other brands. Mustad makes quality hooks as far as I'm concerned.

Al

I mostly tie with tiemcos and I've had them break in the 24-26 size but never permanently bend, especially size 10-12 boat anchors. Maybe you should switch to 12/0 thread wink.gif