Fly Tying
Wolf

Fly tying dry fly "Rapid Beetle Black"

Major language barrier here. I see you playing with the cassette tape. Then I see you putting legs on. But if you are using the tape from the cassette, how did you get to look like it does when you tie it in? It's not straight from the cassette to the beetle !!!

Please, explain or show, thank you.

I cut off a small piece of tape. Take it for both edge and pull in different directions until it turns into a thread. And then this thread I use for the manufacture of legs. I do a leg for their flies so for more than 10 years

What is a cassette tape? haha just kidding.. wouldn't even know where to get my hands on one tho.. very innovative, your pattern is one of the better beetle patterns that i've seen

Lots of charity stores have cassettes. Now will the fish prefer legs from Neil Diamond or Kylie? If anyone needs some tape (very rare now) I can supply it in 3 yd lengths for $50. Labelled as 'fly tying tape' and everythingrolleyes.gif

Piker, I'll take 12 inches ... 5 dollars in in the mail.

Thank you for the explanation, Wolf. I am going to buy up some tapes at the next yard sale ... go into competition with Piker.

Piker

I would think they'd prefer something by Country Joe and the Fish.

Vladimir. I just tied up a few beetles using your cassette tape technique. Awesome baby! Ideal properties for terrestrial legs. How on earth did you discover this trick?

rbob,

When I was a child I used to play in the yard with your friends. One day I found a tape, and began waving her. I was approached by a friend and grabbed the other end of this tape, and then pulled and she narrowed and became similar to the thread. Then when I started doing fly-tying I remembered this trick and began to apply it. As it turned out then I found the perfect material to simulate legs flies, simple, reliable, durable.

Vladimir

That is a priceless story; another accidental discovery that would not have been made if the observer (you) had not paid such close attention. And you are absolutely right, it is the PERFECT material for insect legs. The properties of the stretched tape are better than I could imagine; not just for looks but the way they fish too. As luck would have it, the cassette tape I found used BLACK tape, not the usual brown. I have tied up several beetles using this technique and they look like they could crawl off my tying bench. I had recently experimented with Power Pro braid and must say this material after being coated with Aqua Seal, comes in a close second to cassette legs. I will post a photo soon as I just received the 65 lb. and 50 lb. test lines that have the best diameters for legs. I would be happy to send you some samples if you'd like. To me, the sharing of ideas like this, from around the world, is what makes forums like this so valuable. Thank you again.