Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mswaterfowler

Bluegill Nymphs?

I have been in a sort of nymph craze and have tied a good number of hares ear, pheasant tail, and universal nymphs. I have been tying some flashback nymphs as well. Are there any nymphs that i am missing that work well for bluegill. Thanks in advance!

For bluegill I find that anything on a hook is usually good. sometimes the "anything" is optional. :D

I like to go on the surface when I can, so if you can get out of your nymph craze do some top water flies! Good luck!

Try this pattern.

Bob's Bluegill Fly

#12-14 streamer hook

Thread: Orange

Tail: Gray squirrel Tail

Body: Orange floss

Overwing: Squirrel Tail tied in at the head going about half way back over the body

Weight: Lead or any green substitute.

Cast in and strip back slow.

Oatka, i started out using poppers and foam spiders and the problems i had were the fish i caught were smaller and the bluegill would swallow the fly very deep so i switched to nymphs and have been doing as good, if not better, and the fish are actually hooked in the mouth not in the gills. The fish at the pond i fish are not very big ,but there are a lot of them, so it is hard to unhook them if they are hooked too deep, so i think it is the best of both worlds, the fish dont die and i dont have to spend more time unhooking the fish and moore time catching fish.

Jschmidt63- what is the recipe for that fly?

i tie grass shrimp,i use mustad 9672,in #8 & #10.if i weight them i use a piece of lead wire in .35 dia. a little shorter than the hook. a few strands of pearl flash and some silver mylar for whiskers and flash ,and for body medium pearl estaz.

i trim the estaz on the top and sides,add a little color with a felt pin and man do the blue gill and chinks love this fly .

i fish this fly weighted deep and un weighted shallow with much success.