Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Soft Hackled Nymph Swap

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#106 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

youre worried about wooly buggers in a soft hackle swap?

like i said above

sorry....i'll strive to tie better in future swaps.

gimme some pointers to correct my mistakes

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#107 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:40 PM

Honestly flytire your ability to accurately and consistently tie more traditional and established patterns really impresses me, I don't think I have ever seen any of your flys in person or photo that didn't make impress me quite a lot.

#108 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

maybe vicrider can think of something though I would be pretty surprised he ous much better then I am at almost all things fly tying.

#109 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:23 AM

youre worried about wooly buggers in a soft hackle swap?

like i said above

sorry....i'll strive to tie better in future swaps.

gimme some pointers to correct my mistakes

I think these fine folks are just giving you some good natured ribbing, Norm. 

But...I'd mention I only see 4 wraps of wire on the fly. Don't know if the usual wet and salmon fly five wraps hold for nymphs but, if they do, you're one short (if there's no standard, then, mea culpa). The hackle seems a bit sparse and stiff for a soft hackle. And it looks like you might have mixed right and left side peacock herl strands when doing the thorax. Even despite those little, tiny things, I think I might be able to find a couple genetically deficient trout, or maybe even bullhead, to eat it.

Or I could just be effing with you. Your fly is an excellent example of the style, as are all the others. Once again, great job, everyone. I'm grateful for the pics so I can replace the flies that are inevitably lost to fish.

Tight lines,
David

#110 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:05 AM

HA HA

thanks for those major tying tips. 

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#111 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

There is a thing about tyers like Norm and the many others whose flies grace the magazines and sites like Hans Weilenmann's   http://www.flytierspage.com/ . When people reach a certain level of proficency beyond what many of us who tie well but not museum quality flies is consistency. Not only are their flies of that quality but when you line up a dozen of them you would hard pressed to pick a best one out of the run. Secretly, I have to believe they toss a few aside to save for carp fishing (and those are better than all but a few of anyone else's) but the ones you and I see are the same consistent quality. I really am not trying to make Norm's hat fit even tighter but I've seen a great amount of his work and he is recognized in the top circles of tyers and we can be very happy he is on the site and joins our swaps with some regularity. To admire some of the top tyers in the country go to Hans's page and enjoy all of their works. The link to Norm's contribution requested and photographed by Hans is http://www.flytiersp.../nfrechette.htm

I wish I could remember names and stories better but there was one I read about a well known Salmon Fly tyer. He was offered extra money by a Japanese collector to put some extra time and effort into his flies for his collection. The tyer gave his extra money back and told him, "Every fly I tie is to the best of my ability". I only wish I could say the same but I'm trying.

#112 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

@Dubs,
Thanks again for hosting, and for posting the pics, I'm really enjoying that. Would you mind sharing your photo method & setup?
cb27

#113 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

You are all welcome, glad everyone enjoyed the swap, or I think so anyhow.

Nothing fancy about my photos. Use a pair of hemos to hold the fly, brace it with 2 boxes of turkey loads (or whatevers handy). A piece of construction paper held up with my laptop, and my point and shoot resting on a Yankee candle (again use whatever). Macro setting, find the right amount of distance and zoom so the background is blurred and fly is sharp. Flashlight on phone held at a flattering angle, don't move camera when taking the pic. Photoshop to crop and enhance, auto fix usually is a good start if you don't want to get too deep into editing.

#114 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:46 AM

Mine arrived This week. Thanks all. Great set

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#115 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

dflanagan, just had a good laugh at your expense. Reviewing this post and again enjoying the pictures I read your comment about the classic rib wraps being 5 wraps and you noted Flytire's  only had  four. Went and looked over the great pictures of all the flies that now reside in my trout box and by golly...5 rib wraps on Norm's fly with the middle wrap almost perfectly centered. Maybe you looked at the back side of your fly instead of the display side. I think you owe the big guy an apology and you should scourge yourself with 20 lashes of wet chenille.

#116 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

You're right, Nick. I was just joking but I had started the St. Pat's celebration a day early so probably came across like a d-bag.

Sorry, Norm.
Tight lines,
David

#117 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:40 AM

Oh dflanagan, you did not come across wrong. Your satire made it through fine and the apology to Norm was just kidding. Too bad the written/typed word can't come with facial expressions. Some of the boards that have a bunch of easily inserted emojis make it easier but you're fine and I just had a good laugh and you should too.