Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jakeryan

Brand new to everything fly related.......

Hello all!! I just started taking up fishing(panfish)with my 2 boys in the last couple of years(ages 10 and 7)so fishing in general is a relatively new hobby in itself. Ive just recently taken a interest in learning to tie flies but everything under the sun pertaining to it is all foreign to me. I have no idea on where to start as far as books to learn with,tools and materials I will need and so on. I have no idea on how or why this sudden new interest in learning to tie flies came from,maybe just from wanting to learn something new. would appreciate any and all help on getting started in what I am hoping will become a very fun and inteersting pastime for me and my boys. Thanks in advance.

This site is a virtual fountain of information and inspiration. You don't really have to go anywhere else to find out anything you want to know. The folks here will sometimes overwhelm you with answers to any fly tying/fishing question. That being said you can check out your local library for books and videos, look around for a local club and check out any flyshops in your area. All good sources of info. Welcome to the sport (addiction) and the forum.

Les

I think a good local fly shop is the best resource for someone looking to learn fly fishing and fly tying. Not only do you get access to experts you can question, but there's often a solid connection with a community of like minded folk you can learn from.

I see from your profile that you are in Northeast MO? Perhaps some members on here know of the best fly shop...

Welcome to the forum.. FYI, you can get an e-book, from Al Beatty, for $4.99 to 7.99, free with Amazon Prime. Each of the books provide textbook type instructions, and progessively work through more difficult techniques. Gold Mine for new, and innovative experienced members.

While the focus of Al and Gretchen's teaching tends toward trout flies, you can learn to tie somewhat larger sizes, #12 and bigger. Panfish here in Wyoming love trout flies, though a larger fly will deter hookups with the Mini fishes-which may or may not be a good result. Keep those kiddos involved. Best wishes!

Dont know of any fly shops close to my area at all. Closest I would guess is 4-5 hours away in southern MO around the trout streams. No trout in my area.I think the biggest obstacle for me is going to be learning all the different terms so I know what im reading about and also what the tools are and what they are used for.

You will get many recommendations on good books for beginning fly tiers. Mine is Fly Tying Made Clear & Simple by Skip Morris. It is a book that truly starts from the beginning and assumes that the reader has never handled the tools or materials before. I learned to tie flies from it and recommend it to beginners at every opportunity.

If you have a fly shop near you, they often offer fly tying instruction. Many areas also have local fly tying clubs. Both can be excellent resources for the beginning tier.

There are hundreds of YouTube videos on the subject of fly tying. These can be useful, but are most often geared toward those who already have some tying experience.

My advice would be to get Skip Morris's book and learn to tie a Woolly Bugger. Tie some up in sizes 8, 10 and 12 in various colors and go fishing. You'll catch panfish all day long. :)

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of fly tying and fishing. You've done yourself a good turn by joining this site. Don't be afraid to ask questions and show us photos of your work -- folks here are super friendly and very generous with their knowledge.

Cheers,

Bryon

I'll see if I can find that book. The only book our local library has is LL Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing. May check it out means its all they have.

Your library may have a statewide program where any book in the system anywhere can be lent to you at your local library.

Dang this place is friendly and helpful! Only been on here a few hours and already have got 2 nice offers to send me stuff to try out. Thanks much!!

Welcome to the forum!

Although as a saltwater angler I am not help to much, at least about panfish and tying freshwater flies, I can give you some tips. I only have 1 year of fly tying experience, but my progress has gotten a lot better... a lot due to the fact that I would post pics of my flies and receive feedback from the members on here. I recommend you do so, even if they aren't too nice at times, in the end your flies really do get better. Its like tough love..

Make sure to ask questions and just keep at it. Practice practice practice!

It is out of print, but you can find used copies. Richard Talleurs "Mastering the Art of Fly Tying lead me out of the dark in the days before the internet. Each section teaches you to tie a fly, but more importantly teaches you a technique. Learn those, and you can usually figure out how a fly is tied by looking at it.

I always recommend FlyAnglersOnLine.

faol.jpg

If you follow the prompts, you'll get to a series from the late Al Campbell that takes you through all the tools and how to use them, all the way to tying complicated flies.

I found it invaluable.

Your in luck! Fly fishing and fly tying ain't that difficult. As for tools there's only a small handful needed, vise, bobbin, thread, scissors, bodkin, whip finish tool and hackle pliers. Anything else is gravy you can add over the coming years.

I pretty much got started watching youtube. I have a couple books but rarely ever look at them. After watching a few hundred tying videos you will soon be able to tell the good from the bad. I like in the riffle videos and a few others. Whenever I want to learn something different I first watch a YouTube video and tie one fly. Then post a picture of that one fly on thus site and ask for a critique. Learn from the critiques and incorporate the help into your second fly and post a pic of that fly. Three or four flies into it you will be tying that pattern like a pro with the help of all of the great tiers here.

Welcome to fishing. I wish you and your kids a life of enjoyment.

In print form, I began the learning process with Eric Leisers Complete Book of Fly Tying. It's still readily available. I still have plenty of printed material but the internet is going to be your best source of instructional material. So many tutorials available. Youtube is great. You'll find plenty of good tiers with well made videos (some very poor ones also)

As Mike stated above FAOL is a great resource. A frequent contributor, Scott's SBS (step by step) instructions with incredible photos are a fantastic resource.

Enjoy what will hopefully become a lifetime addiction for you and your boys.