Fly Tying
BullRunBear

Pearsall's gossamer vs Orvis Nano silk thread

I recently came across mention of Pearsall's gossamer silk for tying traditional wet flies and flymphs. Wonder how it compares to Orvis (or similar) Nano silk thread for the same purpose.

Any experience with the two or opinions on substitutes would be welcome.

Thanks

Apparently this topic has come up before. Should have done a general search to my question before posting. I'll just order some of the Pearsall's and see how it does. Dave Hughes mentions Pearsall's thread and floss in his "Wet Flies" book. That's a good recommendation.

I don't know Orvis' silk but I have been using Pearsall's Gossamer for 30 years. It is my first choice for wet flies and flymphs. (There is a reason it has been around so long.) Pearsall also sells a Marabou silk floss which is even more lustrous and makes great bodies on wet flies, salmon flies, streamers, etc.

One good reason for using Pearsall's is that many of the old books specify (by number) the colour of Pearsall's Gossamer used in their patterns.

from the interweb

Nano Silk: A new hybrid GSP thread that is virtually unbreakable. The strongest and smallest fly tying thread available on the market. Not only for small flies, but for ALL types. Now you can easily tie any fly with no build up. Imagine spinning deer hair using a 12/0 thread.

This thread is a stranded form of GSP which has incredible strength for its size. Advertised as "almost unbreakable", it allows tying techniques never before possible while minimizing thread build-up on small flies. Loosely twisted, it is the only GSP thread that can be split for dubbing loops, although it is fine enough to be doubled for loops without excessive build-up. The white thread takes marker colors easily. This 30 denier thread has a breaking strength of 40 oz. (1.14 kg). 50 yd. per spool. See Other Details for more information on its strength.

i think nano silk is different than pearsalls silk

Get ya some Pearsalls.You won't be disappointed!

Thanks. I tie simple patterns for fun and my own use. I hope to learn more patterns and the idea of using the long-time, traditional materials, like Pearsall's gossamer and floss is appealing. Fortunately, no one has to see the results while learning. :-)