Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Purple and Pink stimulator type of nymphs

These are not "natural" kind of nymphs but in years I noticed a strange curiosity. The fish take them often when these kind of flies are in the hunting zone. if they do not take them, will take the other nymph.

I tied them as much as possible:

troutline-grayling-pink-UV-bug.jpg

These kind of nymphs are really simple to tie, just wrap sam pearly material over the colored tying thread, synthetic dubbing and a hot colored bead. Will sink fast in the feeding area.

Pink has always been a good color for me for all baits and fish over the years, particularly for smallmouth bass. Purple has always been a go to color in dark water or on dark days. Certainly not anything new to use these colors but it seems to be growing in many areas over the "natural" colors. They certainly don't match the hatch. Love the look of yours and may need to find some new material that you use.

I have good results with pink on crappie. I have also had success with purple tails and hackle on dries in the Driftless in Wisconsin.

But a pink and purple "zebra midge", what an idea. Thank you for the insperation.

Very Nice. I tied up some pink and some purple nymph size mop flies for the CFR retreat where members of my salt water club act as lake guides for the ladies participating in the fishing portion of the retreat. The lady I was guiding caught all her sunfish on a pink one. My guess would be that pink might represent some sort of aquatic worm. Purple has always been a hot color for plastic worms in bass fishing, not sure what it represents, and years ago a purple worm with a hot pink tail was a killer when fished off a red and white buck tail with conventional tackle. If pink works for crappie, I'm going to have to add some larger pink mop flies to my repertoire for later this spring if it ever gets here.