Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Addiction to fly boxes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

I seem to have an addiction to fly boxes. Two years ago it was the CF design stuff, last year I just had to have one of those ocean fly boxes by bonnard. This year its the new system x from scientific anglers. I have no justifiable reason for buying them, besides having something new. I have a lot of different boxes from plano compartment boxes, to wheatley and c f design boxes. Some I do not even use anymore. I mainly use my c f boxes these days, I like being able to switch out the inserts.

Does anyone else do this? With flyboxes or any other fly fishing related items?

John

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:01 PM

I'm addicted to fish. I seem to catch them wherever I go. biggrin.gif

test

#3 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:03 PM

you gotta change that avatar, thats scary man!

#4 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:06 PM

laugh.gif

I like to think that I'm on a quest - nay, a crusade - to find the perfect flybox, and until I find it, I'll just have to keep getting more of them.

I may be getting really close with the new C&F Will is setting me up with though.

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,950 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:14 PM

If its fly fishing related then i'm addicted to it blink.gif i've got more fly boxes than i know what to do with, i got small ones,med ones, big ones ones that are in between those sizes, ones that are crush proof, ones with flip up windows, got a Weatley box i paid $50 for just because it has the opening line from a "river runs through it" on the lid....jeez its a sickness unsure.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:20 PM

nice avatar Will, thats classic!

#7 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:21 AM

I just am still looking for a source of faux sheep skin so I can get my grandma to make me some more fly wallets. I use streamers for the majority of my fishing.

It is fun to sit by her and listen to her berate my mother, wife, and sisters for not being real women since they can't sew and how damn feminists ruined the country. Then she serves me a slice of pie she forgot to bake and its still better than what I get at home...
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#8 Teioneon

Teioneon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:14 PM

I have a bunch of different ones. I finally managed to sort some of them out. Most of the trout stuff is in a couple of C&F boxes while the warm water stuff is in bug luggage/fox box type including the trout streamers. Larger flies are in a large fox box and a double nubby tack.

I do like the C&F stuff for being able to switch out inserts, I will probably stick with them.

I doubt that the others will get retired, to sentimental since some of them were gifts.
Bob and Tom..the two biggest boobs on the radio!

#9 mdmayo

mdmayo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

I also have been addicted to different types of fly boxes. I started with the less pricey ones and now use mostly C&F. Just this season I started using threader boxes. They make things a bit easier in the dark.

#10 slenon

slenon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:22 AM

I'm partial to the C&F Waterproof System boxes and the Meiho folding boxes. They are designed and engineered well, manufactured well, and meet my needs for the various flies I fish,

The System X looks interesting and will probably attract me enough that I buy a couple. The interchangeability feature is a good one, as is he waterproof quality.

Then I always need the plano compartment boxes to hold wet flies until I get home and can wash and dry them.

Cu Zev

drown flies to darkstar

#11 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:08 PM

I only buy systems when I decide how to organize. So, at one point I tried to keep dries seperately, eggs seperately, nymphs, streamers, wooly buggers, terrestials etc. Then I decided to go just having a few big boxes for each species. Nonetheless, my indecision has provided me with a multitude of fly boxes and sizes!
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan

#12 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:25 PM

I need some boxes but I am wondering why they seem so expensive for what they are. Do you find this too?

I will probably buy some of the pure foam boxes with nylon cover and corner magnets to hold the two sides closed. What do you think of those boxes?

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,950 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:54 PM

Fish, i have to of the large size boxes like you just mentioned and i love them. They are much lighter than other boxes, about the only problem i have had with them is the little magnets seem to come unglued after about a year or so. Not really a problem though because a couple drops of super glue and they are good as new smile.gif

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#14 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:12 PM

Im addicted to fly tying, and fly fishing.
Rock'n ROll, Heavy Metal, and
just about every thing that is involved with bowth......

AND NOW F.T.F.COM headbang.gif
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#15 Todder

Todder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:22 PM

I am addicted to the regular Wheatley boxes (not compartment). I will buy one on the spot if I don't have it already. I did pass one up last summer and am still kicking myself for it.

Is their Fly Boxes Anonymous?