Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

cb radio

I did until I traded for my new van a few months ago. I haven't hooked it up in the new one, yet.

I've had one most of my life, but never did it "legally". Never had a registration or call sign.

Had a few of them, everything from Radio Shack to Robyn. even had the base station. Been years though.

Was at a Pilot on the way home from vacation and I was looking at some of the units they had. The wife asked "Do they still use CB radios?".

I was a kid when that craze hit. I think there was even a hit song... Anyways, I begged my dad to get one. He refused. Thank you, dad.

yes, haven't used any in a while, had many, was legal years ago w/base station w/huge antenna, even talked skip to FL from IL.

(rare occurrence where signal reflects off atmosphere to long distance)

handy tool for long road trips in vehicles.

still have two, and magnet mount ant. for car, I just seen the bloomin things the other day in the garage.

hard to toss out stuff that still works.

also great tool for hunting/fishing/camping trips with several cars

smile.png

Not for a long time but I know the box they're in in the shed. So many hills in here that reception is spotty and none.

You need one when traveling on logging roads to avoid log trucks. For communications with others in your group, look into FRS or GMRS radios.

I remember the CB craze in the 70's. Just why are they useful when traveling? I seem to recall them not being worth much when traveling.

The "craze" was from a few movies that portrayed the trucker lifestyle in a more romantic or humorous light. Then all the locals bought them, thinking Sally Fields would fall in love with them.

The truckers hated the "craze", since it flooded the airwaves with useless and blathering idiots.

But before ... and after ... the "craze", CB's were great for quick reports of road conditions, police actions, restaurant reviews/warnings, even weather reports. It offered a form of connection back before Sirius Radio and over-population driven plethora of radio stations in remote areas. I can remember 60 to 100 miles stretches where there were NO reliable radio stations. CB's allowed some modicum of "news" in these radio voids.

Yes, pretty nice when traveling and were right now communication with home or others (work/help on other side of town or county for example) before cells existed, probably saved millions of miles of looking for a phone back then. We had a lot of FM business radios on the streets for the same reasons. The pay phone might be miles away and when you got there it might be vandalized. When I lived where there was reception I had one on all the time. yes there were a lot of idiots on too, but you could arrange for your people to use one of the less popular channels.

have on for towing the rv on trips, yes they are still in use and helpfull on long trips for road conditions although the language used is more than colorfull.

Been many years but yep I use to always have one in my trucks. I was always into lifted jacked up blazers & pick up's sittin' on 38"-44" mudders so it was almost a sin not to have a CB with a whip antenna when ya had a truck like that biggrin.png

They were always useful back when we'd be out on old country logging roads off roading with some other trucks. Also made for some very entertaining listening even around the city on the weekends lol.