Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

YakFlyBass

Chartreuse floating minnow... waked across the current produced a few nice smallmouth yesterday evening in the Susquehanna. Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 kayak was is an excellent fishing platform. Best hard-earned dollars I've spent in a long time. Perfect for getting away for a few hours, with the capacity to let someone get away for a few days... someday I will, when work and other stuff lets me. Some day... Some day...

post-10077-0-41533200-1312850055_thumb.jpg

post-10077-0-63886600-1312850204_thumb.jpg

Nice fish! Going to FL and taking my kayak and fly rods for bone's, permit, and tarpon is now on my bucket list. (wink wink)B)

2 weeks ago tonight I took my first kayak ride, and caught 2 bass. Last saturday I took my kayak out for the first time (2 weeks ago I borrowed one) and now I'm dreaming of my next float. I would like to upgrade since mine is a river kayak, but for $80 DELIVERED my wife couldn't pass up the deal.

Picking up my Field & Stream Eagle Talcon angler tomorrow. I used to white water kayak when I was younger and more fit. Really looking forward to having it to fish from.

Joel, beautiful bronze! Nice & chunky! Man, I love Smallies! :D

Congrats on the new purchase! I don't have a yak, thought about it, but I don't think my old body would do well with it! I have a Gheenoe, and have added folding seats on top of 7 inch extensions, mounted on the bench seats. Makes it a bit heavy to move it around, but easier on my back when I'm sitting in it all day fishing! :lol:

Joel, beautiful bronze! Nice & chunky! Man, I love Smallies! :D

Congrats on the new purchase! I don't have a yak, thought about it, but I don't think my old body would do well with it! I have a Gheenoe, and have added folding seats on top of 7 inch extensions, mounted on the bench seats. Makes it a bit heavy to move it around, but easier on my back when I'm sitting in it all day fishing! :lol:

I've gotta say the Wilderness "System 3" seat system in my Tarpon is as comfortable as any boat seat I've ever sunk my behind in.

Yesterday I floated a piece of the Allegheny River in Warren, Pa, and caught 8 or 9 smallmouths, up to 17 inches. Used my little cart thing bungeed to the kayak to get it up and down the bank, and it worked well. I had a few reservations about sitting for several hours due to my wrecked back too, but so far I have been comfortable. The wet ride of the SOT style just gives me an excuse to wear my waders more. Plus, just go to shore and get out and stretch, wade, fish a little to loosen up. Bought some new wading boots with a "Boa" closure system, and I think this is finally what makes expensive wading boots worth the money.

This kayak has been the best $$$ I've spent on any outdoors gear in a LONG time.

Another thing I've learned is that all "paddling" or "fishing" PFDs are not created equal. I had a cheap $30 alleged "Paddling" PFD that I wore for a few years in canoes and it seemed fine. Adjusted correctly and paddling my kayak, it chafed my arms like crazy. I bought a Stohlquist fishing PFD, and honestly have forgotten I have it on a few times.