Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Nail knot issues?

Howdy all,

I've always been able to tie great nail knots, but the ones I've tied lately have lead to confusion. My knots always used to be perfectly in line. Meaning the end of the fly line was always in line with the butt of the leader. Now when I tie them, they look off-center. Almost as if there's a small kink where they connect. The knot itself is fine, but the leader is slightly off to one side or the other. Never perfectly in line with the fly line. Did I forget how to tie a knot or perhaps been overlooking something after 1000's of them? :blink:

Thanks for the help! I tied a few practice ones and they came out good! I just had to refresh myself with a good example and info! ;)

One other tip about nail knots... at times it's helpful to cinch down your nail knot, then grab the end of your fly line (before you trim it back to final position) and the portion just above the knot (the running line)and pull that fly line as tight as possible one last time before finishing. That will tend to straighten out any curves or other problems with that nail knot.

By the way, wish I had a nickel for every nail knot one of my anglers had on their gear that failed in my hands the first time I tested it before fishing (particularly nail knots done by otherwise competent fly shops on new gear). I find it's a good idea to really test them out (until your hands hurt, pulling leader against fly line across your chest) before a big fish does it for you... I'm sure they'd be okay for freshwater use but where I am down in the Everglades nail knots that slip are a bad proposition. It only takes a moment to tie in a new one that won't fail, then we're on our way. Intermediate fly lines (all I use on heavy gear) are generally too slippery to attach a leader to with a single nail knot. The solution is two knots in a row, 1/2" apart, with the same butt section. The doubled knots will hold for the life of the fly line. Hope this helps

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

Thanks Capt. Bob!

I'll have to tie up some rigs with double nail knots. I never had any issues with one, but I'm discovering new areas with bigger and bigger fish, so I will definitely try this. I usually "test" my knots until I'm blue in the face. (The same with my backing knots) ;) B)

I second the double nail knot, you don't want $70 of fly line disappearing, speaking of backing end i always do a rather large bimini twist with large loop. Have a nail knotter tool these days which makes on the water surgery so much quicker, at home i usually put a drop of zap on all nail knots and knots just to be sure.

I second the double nail knot, you don't want $70 of fly line disappearing, speaking of backing end i always do a rather large bimini twist with large loop. Have a nail knotter tool these days which makes on the water surgery so much quicker, at home i usually put a drop of zap on all nail knots and knots just to be sure.

I second the drop of zap on knots! I do it every time!

I've never had a nail knot come undone, and I always make sure to get the wraps right next to each other before cinching down. I also give the fly line a good hard pull to straighten it out before the final cinch.

I used a double Bimini loop for my backing to fly line connection on the advice of posters on this site for my 10 wt. That held up great last week for several albies that got into my backing. All loop to loop connections and no problems. Same for my 8 wt.

Just a note on my 8 wt line: My SA intermediate 8 coating peeled off the mono core last week when I stepped on the line and "rolled" it (yeah I know, why am I stepping on the line). I hated the line anyway, too much coil memory. Sarah seemed a bit surprised but then wasn't.

I've been using the nail-less nail knot for a few years. I dont often agree with Borger, but this time I do.

Oh yeah. I have never had a nail knot fail. Knock on wood.