Fly Tying
dontheo

Condor Quills

Yesterday I made a big score on an estate sale of fly tying material from the 50's. I bought it for the wood duck and polar bear and I found some Connor quills in it as well. I am all up on the Federal laws as I work in that field and don't say send them to me when I ask you what to do with them. But I could not find a lot of information on them or what I could use them for on the web. There was even a blue heron feather ( just one) and some actual vixen in there as well. And a flicker woodpecker.

It's all documented as the guy was meticulous on his records which were included.

Not sure what to do with it other then keep the duck and bear and donate the rest to a club?

Depending on how cool the feathers look, you could just use them for decoration around your tying station. might be cool to have some rare feathers laying around that most people to get to see up close.

Depending on what color you have, you can use them in place of any larger pattern that calls for turkey biots for the body. If you have natural dark or light, you can use those for nymph patterns. They are really tough as far as strength goes. Chauncy Lively had a nymph pattern in his Fly Box book that used the dark natural ones. Frederic Halford had all kinds of dry fly patterns that used them, but most of those were dyed different colors. The Orange Quill used ones that were dyed a bright orange color.

Regards,

Mark

They are an awesome grey. I think the idea of displaying them is good. Maybe pull a quill off, tie a classic with it, and the mount them?

They are the prefared body material for Steve Thornton's CAM Emerger. This one is tied with peacock for the body, just because I don't have condor.

wpf0290c65_05_06.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig

Thanks. I can't find a lot on them. This would be perfect to tie and display with the quills. Two problems, not sure I can do as good as job as you. The second is I will be tempted to fish it.

Use the blue heron for a spey hackle. the woodpecker for soft hackles, tails and steelhead and full dress salmon, the Condor is great for stoneflies like listed earlier, as well as bodies fo the biots and such