Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
andresere

Question for any familiar with Renzetti

This is supposedly a Renzetti Presentation 4000. I know that the original Renzetti came out in 88 (I think), so maybe this is a very old one. I have Googled for awhile and I'm not seeing any pictures with jaws like this. Every picture I see they have a camlock not a thumb screw. I would think that modern cam jaws from Renzetti would bolt up to it. Does anyone know if the original Renzetti was indeed a thumbscrew, and they changed to a camlock later? Thanks in advance,

Andy

post-62212-0-65797300-1514749875_thumb.jpg

You are correct. The cam lever didn't come out until later in the early 90's.
I have one of the first Travelers with cam lever jaws.

Kimo

I can get a pretty good deal on this vise, but the jaws would have to be refurbished/rebuilt and from looking at it, I think the never cam lever jaws would bolt right on. The center screw in the picture appears to be the only thing holding the jaws to the head arm. Thank you for the info! Have a Happy New Year.

Kimo,

Found this ad in a Fly Tying magazine I used to subscribe to from 1999. #2 lists as a Presentation 4000 alright, just a very early one.

post-62212-0-98333000-1514756799_thumb.jpg

Kimo,

Found this ad in a Fly Tying magazine I used to subscribe to from 1999. #2 lists as a Presentation 4000 alright, just a very early one.

Thanks andresere!

I didn't start tying until 2001.

Now days there are so many more options

it can be dizzying. The best way to pick is

to actually tie on the vise.

Kimo

My 4000 has jaws like that. Personally, I like them. Once you set the jaw width correctly, it just takes a quick twist of the wrist to tighten it up.

The only thing wrong, that I can see, is the rubber "O" ring is missing. Renzetti sells these, but you can also go to Home Depot and pick up a few in the plumbing section quite cheaply.

I bought it (eBay). Will have to be stripped down and cleaned, and there is a little bit of surface rust on the jaws. The brass is tarnished, but the seller is from Florida. On the oring, how tight does that oring have to be? I own two older Harley Davidsons, so i have an extensive selection of orings lol. I'm pretty stoked to get it, and as long as there is nothing major wrong with it I think I got a really good deal on it ($159). Thanks Kimo and phg.

post-62212-0-11944600-1514759337_thumb.jpg

post-62212-0-13395600-1514759344_thumb.jpg

post-62212-0-91366400-1514759434_thumb.jpg

I think you are better off with the screws, at least to my thinking and fit. I looked at both the Renzetti 4000 presentation and the 2000 with the articulated arm in cam locks yesterday. I bought an HMH Standard instead mostly because of the comfort of the cam on it and smooth rotation and obviously good build quality. The Renzetti cam lever is petite , it just felt odd to me.

Take the head off and go to the hardware store. Buy a couple of O-rings (a spare) that will snugly slip over the head and hold the jaws shut and you're in business.

I had a Traveler that had the screw but I replaced it with a cam, which I liked better.

I bought it (eBay). Will have to be stripped down and cleaned, and there is a little bit of surface rust on the jaws. The brass is tarnished, but the seller is from Florida. On the oring, how tight does that oring have to be? I own two older Harley Davidsons, so i have an extensive selection of orings lol. I'm pretty stoked to get it, and as long as there is nothing major wrong with it I think I got a really good deal on it ($159). Thanks Kimo and phg.

For $159 you really scored! The o-ring doesn't have to be very tight. It's just used to open the front of the jaws.

Kimo

Thanks everybody. When I get it, I will take a lot of pictures and do a restoration post about it. Happy New Year!

Andresere, you can also send the vise to get fully restored by Renzetti. If you go to their Facebook page they post pictures all the time of restores they have done. You can also buy the cam jaws and they will fit right on the vise you just bought. Happy new year!

O rings are #8 with ID of 3/8 inch

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-8-O-Ring-10-Pack-96725/100277697

Bob Brown published in Fly Fisherman Magazine a way to convert the the thumb screw version of the old Renzetti's into sort of a cam variation as you can see in the the photo below. His method from the article is in this post:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80062&st=0&p=611779

34883025434_e72d8d7be9.jpg