Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Metal vs Ceramic

Bobbin type  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not really sure it matters all that much, however, I like the precision tension adjustment with the Rite bobbins and the Tiemco, both of which have ceramic tubes. They're also both easy to thread. I have not had good luck with ceramic inserts that seem to have a tendency to fray thread and can be difficult to thread. Most other bobbins I've tried have poor contact on the spool that can create erratic tension.

I've been using S & M metal tube bobbins for years and have been very happy with them; one did have a nick at the base of the tube - a touch of #320 wet/dry sandpaper and problem fixed. If I tied with kevlar/gsp I might consider ceramic, but for regular thread/monofilament, the S & M meets all my needs.

Regards,

Scott

I have bobbins in each material and like them all. But the reasons for liking them are beyond "ceramic vs metal."

I have and use both. Mostly TMC ceramic bobbin holders. For a few years I used the mini Rite bobbins. They are excellent in every respect except one. When that became an issue to my tying I had to change back to TMC. They do not spin well. If they would make the tensioning mechanism from brass (or at least part of it). They would balance better, the manufacturers will not do it, I know I've asked.

My TMCs are not standard. I find after a few thousand flies the rubber tubing over the joint becomes loose. Now I remove this and make a "bullet" from hot melt glue over the joint. I should get onto Tempco about this, I don't like buying something that I have to change (repair) like that.

As for metal, the only ones I have found that haven't quickly grooved and started to cut the thread are Matterelli. The problem is that here I can get 2 TMC ones for the price of 1 Matterelli, and have a little change.

Cheers,

C.

I don't find the tube type to be that significant. I have steel, ceramic, and ceramic insert, and they all work. What I really like are the bobbins with ball feet! I feel that they provide smoother action as the spool turns, making fraying and binding less of a problem.

Rite ceramic. I still have a few all metal or metal with ceramic inserts that I've amassed over the years... but I like the Rite a ton.

I'm using ceramic bobin. Metal can damage the thread, making it flare and you can create crates in the metal. Ceramic bobbins don't cost a fortune or well some does such as C & F.

I find that tiemco black ceramic bobin are too small and I'm thinking about buying a C&F. I like having fancy tools, it makes fly tying more pleasurable.