Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

What are Partridge Fibers, beard style?

Hi all... I'm gonna attempt to tie an Olive Peeking Caddis fly, which is calling for Brown Partridge Fibers, Beard Style for the legs. In my two years of fly tying, I have never heard of Beard Style... I have a full body English Partridge which I got from Chookshill Fly Tying, so I think I have the needed materials, just don't know what to pick off of it. Would appreciate any help on decoding this.. :-}

SD

Partridge usually means feathers taken from the European Partridge , which you have.

If you look at the fly in your link you will see a clump of feather fibers tied in near the hook eye on the underside (gape side) that resemble a beard. That is it; strip a few fibers from the stem of a partridge feather and tie them under the hook. This is sometimes called the throat.

peekcad7.jpg

Have been looking for a hardcover copy of that book that's not $100 or more. Unsuccessful so far...

B&N not available, and I saw the 1st one but not much info was available so I couldn't tell if it was a CD-ROM with a digital version of the book or the actual book. I tried the ebook thing and it's just not for me.

Sarah at abebooks responded to my email, unfortunately it's only a disc

Have been looking for a hardcover copy of that book that's not $100 or more. Unsuccessful so far...

Here's a used hardcover that's supposedly in good shape for $58.50 plus $3.99 shipping. It's a great book that I go to all the time.

Regards,

Mark

Maybe someone else snagged it, thanks for looking around for me

I bought mine new on Amazon for $68 in July, but they don't show it available any more...