Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfootken

Fly ID

Welcome to the site, bigfoot.

If you send your photo to [email protected], I'll insert it here into the thread for you.

You can quick link to that address from my personal information page.

Without seeing the image - one candidate is the black horsefly. We had a sailboat on Seneca Lake and these @#*&%! would find us in the middle of the lake. If you didn't feel it land on your back you would soon feel like someone drove a staple between your shoulder blades. They can be over an inch long.

horsefly_l2.jpg

Green horseflies are smaller but more sneaky.

Never saw one of those around here. Green Horse flies. I imagine they're the same thing as the green heads that are endemic in the back bays and the beaches of South Jersey. Not near as big as that one but they are sneaky and can draw blood. There are certainly stone flies and Dobson flies that would be that big. Even a Hex or Green Drake could easily be an inch long. Did you ever get the picture, Mike?

can someone help me ID this fly

it's close to an inch long

thanks,

I can't figure out how you measured it but it is clearly what we in Canada call a "no-see-um!"

Without seeing the image - one candidate is the black horsefly. We had a sailboat on Seneca Lake and these @#*&%! would find us in the middle of the lake. If you didn't feel it land on your back you would soon feel like someone drove a staple between your shoulder blades. They can be over an inch long.

horsefly_l2.jpg

Green horseflies are smaller but more sneaky.

I grew up on a cattle ranch, both of those suck.